Estate distribution suspended - DWP letter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
8 replies 1.4K views
oldham07oldham07 Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Hi

Out my depth - please could anyone help. Dealing with a will for which I am a beneficiary (one of three) although not executor. House that the deceased owned is now on the market having had the probate application completed. Was really looking forward to resolving the estate and moving on but now the solicitor has written attaching a letter from DWP that too much pension credit and housing credit may have been paid.

I'm really stressed and upset that this may delay everything. It has been eight months since he died and only recently did we have probate confirmed and the house on the market for sale. I don't have any other information. He was renting a flat but also owned a house and rented it out to tenants. I didn't know that he claimed any benefit.

Can they reclaim all of the money that he may have claimed during his lifetime?

What are my options? Do I need to leave this with the solicitor? Should I ask how much he'll be charging to sort it out with DWP? Can I ask a different solicitor to sort it out with DWP? Our solicitor has been very slow with the probate application.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oldham07 wrote: »
    Can they reclaim all of the money that he may have claimed during his lifetime?

Yes.

What are my options? Do I need to leave this with the solicitor? Should I ask how much he'll be charging to sort it out with DWP? Can I ask a different solicitor to sort it out with DWP? Our solicitor has been very slow with the probate application.

Is the solicitor the executor?
  • bryanbbryanb Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    The executor must deal with this, but may instruct a solicitor.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Hi. Thanks for replies.

The executor is another beneficiary
  • NARNAR Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Wait until you have heard from DWP. Unfortunately they have the right to reclaim any overpayment from the estate.However the executor may challenge the DWP if there are grounds to do so.
  • edited 24 November 2012 at 12:08PM
    dancingfairydancingfairy Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2012 at 12:08PM
    Unfortunately estates can be complicated and take some time to wind up so I would not put undue pressure on yourself/the other person for it to be rushed through and try and accept that it is an administrative exercise and not get too stressed out by it (try and seperate it from the actual grief of the death if you can :( ).
    All the executor can do is follow the process and deal with things as they come up and keep the beneficiaries informed. Sure they can give dates when they expect things to be settled/dealt with but everyone will need to be patient I'm afraid :(
    I'm not sure if you can overturn the decision to appoint the executor at this stage (and indeed if it would be wise to do so).
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The DWP can reclaim any overpayment that they can prove. His entitlement died with him so there is a strong possibility that he may have been overpaid pension by a week or 2 etc.

What you say about Housing Credit is confusing? If he owned a house and was getting an income from it then was he entitled to any at all?!
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • MeeMee Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathies. I dealt with an intestate estate which was subject to a DWP overpayment investigation. I supplied bulding society statements and supporting (very sympathetic) covering letters from the B/S. After all the stress and worry, the DWP said there was no case to answer 9 months later. I appreciate that they are entitled to claim back overpayments, but the whole episode has left me with a bitter taste if not hatred of the DWP. Answer their questions, ensure that you supply the information requested and keep all the correspondence and the case closed letter.

Best of luck
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the executor has handed over to solicitors and not managed then they are part to blame for any delays.

IT may have been it took the solicitors time to collect the information 6+months is not excessive. If there were some suspect benifit claims that may have contributed to the time involved.

It is a good idea to do most of the work yourselfs and just instruct the solicitors for the legal stuff you don't understand.

The executor(with help from others) could deal with the DWP or instruct the solicitors and expect a bill.

The house sale can continue and could well take longer than the DWP investigation.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides