We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Whose responsible?

Options
Me and the OH have a joint mortgage (paid up in three years time). (Got another thread in debt section - 'serial offenders wife').

The OH has credit card debts (£6,000) and owes the bank on an unauthorised overdraft (£300 and rising) and has a phone contract by direct debit (£50 per month). At least that's what he is confessing to, there may be more. He swears he has not taken on any finance secured against the house.

All the debts are in his name alone - I have never signed for any of it with him and its his own bank account. He has nearly £300 per month which is solely for the purpose of financing these but is obviously not enough. He is having difficulty paying the cards due to wasting what should be left in to pay these.

Can any of the organisations chase me for any payments he cannot make. Can they make him sell his share of the house with or without my permission, can they make us sell the house. If the bailiffs came could they take belongings? Am I safe from being held responsible for his debts and have to find the finance myself to pay?
I'm stressed enough over this - please don't add to it.:eek: :cry:

Comments

• thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    johnbfan wrote: »
    Me and the OH have a joint mortgage (paid up in three years time). (Got another thread in debt section - 'serial offenders wife').

The OH has credit card debts (£6,000) and owes the bank on an unauthorised overdraft (£300 and rising) and has a phone contract by direct debit (£50 per month). At least that's what he is confessing to, there may be more. He swears he has not taken on any finance secured against the house.

All the debts are in his name alone - I have never signed for any of it with him and its his own bank account. He has nearly £300 per month which is solely for the purpose of financing these but is obviously not enough. He is having difficulty paying the cards due to wasting what should be left in to pay these.

Can any of the organisations chase me for any payments he cannot make. They can chase you, but you are not liable.Can they make him sell his share of the house with or without my permission, can they make us sell the house. If the amounts were enough, this is something they could pursue If the bailiffs came could they take belongings? Yes, that's what bailiffs do. Am I safe from being held responsible for his debts and have to find the finance myself to pay? As long as you are not party to any agreements you are okay

Bailiffs often suggest that other people are liable simply to deceive them so that they get some money. They will also take things that do not belong to the debtor. Do not open the door to bailiffs is the simple advice.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure