We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lifetime rate on Egg credit card

Options
Hello, this is my first post on the forums, although I have been receiving the weekly email for many months. I hope someone can help please!

To summarise, what I would like to know is has anyone else ever been offered a 'life of balance' balance transfer rate from Egg (or even better, the same 1.9% offer as I took up, see below).

Having had an Egg credit card for a few years, I started to use the annual 0% balance transfer offer each year.

However, around the turn of the year 2005/6, I received (through the post I think) an offer of 1.9% balance transfer for the lifetime of the balance. I decided this was preferable, so went for it. As I have never used the card for purchases, and have the mimimum payment set up on Direct Debit, all seemed to be in order, and I stopped checking the online statements each month (yes I know...).

When I checked the other day, it seems I have been charged 16-18% for the last few months. I called up and they claimed the 1.9% rate was never for the lifetime of the balance, but only 5 months. I need to find evidence of the lifetime offer or they will not refund the interest. I hope I can find the letter in my old files.

Checking my old emails, it seems that at around the same time, they were offering a similar 1.9% deal, but only for 5 months. I started to think I had gone mad and made a huge mistake, but I vaguely remember that there was another offer at the time, and that I had checked that I was going on to the lifetime rate when I called up to make the original transfer.

So, what I would like to know is has anyone else ever been offered a 'life of balance' balance transfer rate from Egg (or even better, the same 1.9% offer as I took up).

Many thanks

Comments

• DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, never been offered a life of balance rate, but when I called to cancel the card last year, I was offered 1.9% for 5 months with no fee.

DJ
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    mine was 1.9% aswell with no fee
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had an offer of 5.9% lifetime balance transfer in December last year with no fee and then 0% for 3% fee for five months in January (despite being told I would not be offered 0% in January when I emailed in Dec, I needed a loan anyway so took the 5.9% which suited me better.

There are always loads of offers around from Egg to different people.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure