Admin of life

2»

Comments

• From experience you need to make sure all your financial and other documents are separated and filed sequentially. It helps no end when you have to ring up all the outgoing payment companies when a person dies.

Will and any funeral wishes should be filed together along with marriage/divorce/birth/passport and various other lists of cards you own i.e. bus pass, library, national institution, other.
  • That's exactly how I've done it!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From experience you need to make sure all your financial and other documents are separated and filed sequentially. It helps no end when you have to ring up all the outgoing payment companies when a person dies.

Will and any funeral wishes should be filed together along with marriage/divorce/birth/passport and various other lists of cards you own i.e. bus pass, library, national institution, other.

AND you & DH's National Insurance Numbers.

DH had a nice 'flight' style briefcase & when he retired I have used it for all the important docs.So if there's a fire/catastrophe I know immediately what to grab :) but I must admit I too find the general 'admin' more & more involved over the years. I think its because the onus is now on ourselves to make sure we have the best deal/option as all the providers look for now is profit instead of the benefit of their customers (me being cynical:p)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • From experience you need to make sure all your financial and other documents are separated and filed sequentially. It helps no end when you have to ring up all the outgoing payment companies when a person dies..

Hear hear. When we were tidying up my mother's affairs after she moved to a nursing home, we couldn't work out what two of her direct debits were for - and she couldn't remember - and we found out only when I typed out a letter to the bank for my mother to sign and send off to cancel the direct debits. The two companies then wrote to her to ask why she had stopped making payments.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • I have a system.....2 heaps I add stuff to depending on whether it is urgent or just to be filed, and another heap for receipts. I did start out using filing trays, but heaps seem easier somehow!

Every so often, we have a "filing day" when I insist OH helps me to file what needs filed, so he knows what is going on in our life. Anything unimportant is shredded.

OH has started scanning important things like bank and credit card statements, so we should be able to do even more shredding soon!

At the moment I seem to be drowning in paper, mainly due to having multiple bank accounts and credit cards. I do like to get a paper statement, though I know we could switch to paperless!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure