New! Competition end dates posting

Options

Comments

• Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It took me opening this post on another tab and reading until I found something I understood.

Couldn't work out why it kept telling me to put in an end date when I'd done it in the title.

Eventually understood, but I think it will confuse newer posters like me...
  • Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now I've read all the extra info that's been posted, I can't see the point. If the extra field could be used for sorting and searching, it would be an improvement on the current system, as it would force all posts to be posted correctly. But as it is, it seems like it is just adding time to posting, space on the board, and may even lead to people posting incorrectly.

So I now vote it gets removed, if it's too complicated to do other things with it.

However, I would also like to express thanks to the board developers for taking the time to listen to posters and try new things to try to make things easier for all (it's just that this function doesn't!). :)
  • Gilla_2
    Gilla_2 Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really dislike the extra line in the headings now.

From reading this:
    Originally Posted by MSE Joeviewpost.gif
    Hi everyone,

We unfortunately cannot do the sort by end date just yet. However, what I can offer you is an icon on forum/board level indicating how close a competition is to closing if the end date field have been completed?

Would this be something you'd be interested in?

does it mean that the search by title / end date is being withdrawn? I will be very upset if that is so, as that's the thing I use constantly.

Please tell me why MSE keeps 'improving' things when we're happy with the old ones.
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot
    :hello: Good Luck everyone !:hello:
  • thenanny2die4
    Options
    MSE_Joe wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We unfortunately cannot do the sort by end date just yet. However, what I can offer you is an icon on forum/board level indicating how close a competition is to closing if the end date field have been completed?

Would this be something you'd be interested in?

Joe

More things being added just destroys the clarity of each individual post. In my opinion, it wouldn't help in any way and is completely unnecessary. Board Guides and regular posters ensure that the agreed title format includes the date and this ensures that it is easy to sort the posts into date order anyway.
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
  • OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone tell me if and how I can amend an end date please!?!
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can someone tell me if and how I can amend an end date please!?!

You can't. The best idea appears to be to click on "unknown" whenever you first post a comp and use the E: DD/MM in the title just like you've always done - which can be edited.
  • One-Eye
    edited 8 November 2012 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Another couple of little annoying faults.

1) If you click on "Submit New Thread" without entering a date or ticking the "unknown" box (and you get the "You haven't entered a date" message), the "30 seconds between posts" is activated and you have to wait before you can re-submit. Surely the 30 secs limit should be activated after the test for an entered date.

2) If you submit a second comp before the "30 secs between posts" has elapsed and you get the normal error message for this, when you return to your post a) I think that any date you entered has been cleared and b) any tick in the "unknown" box has certainly been cleared.

So I was trying to post a sequence of comps where it takes about 20-25 seconds to create the post:-

a) I post a comp and forget the date - PLEASE WAIT 30 SECONDS

b) I re-submit the first comp and post a second comp with the date filled in - PLEASE WAIT 6 SECONDS

c) I re-submit the second comp, but the date has been cleared - PLEASE WAIT 30 SECONDS

d) I re-submit the second comp and post a third comp - PLEASE WAIT 6 SECONDS

e) I re-submit the third comp which has now had its date wiped out - PLEASE WAIT 30 SECONDS

f) I re-submit the third comp

AD LIBITUM

• spiderkebab
    Options
    In my opinion it is an unnecessary change that will add more time to the top posters time/effort/patience. There is already a sort facility on the search by and date E:format. It will make the posts more cluttered. I get that it's meant to be a change for the better but not for the original posters and is also a change for something that is more or less in place anyway. I do think this site is wonderful and most of this is handed to us on a plate and if it inconveniences the major contributors we will all suffer. It seems it will benefit the majority at the expense of the few, but those few are really really important to this site functioning as it does,

This is meant to be constructive feedback from me as a site user but not a poster I hope it doesn't sound moany, I totally appreciate and am grateful for all the work people do on here.
  • One-Eye
    Options
    I suppose you could use Roboform to always tick the "unknown" box - then posting is exactly like it used to be :rotfl:
  • Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    Options
    I thought it would fill in the date automatically?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4277641

It didn't in this one.
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure