MSE News: Supermarkets cut petrol prices

"Fuel and diesel from Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Tesco forecourts will be cheaper from tomorrow morning..."
Read the full story:

Supermarkets cut petrol prices

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Is this a standard cut and paste report once again?

Yawn.
  • I don't know why the garages don't react to shifts in the oil market prices as the American ones do. It is not uncommon for one major city garage(s) to have a change almost daily.
    Last July I was buying petrol in Montana (not the cheapest State) for the equivalent of £2.60 per English gallon and in Mississippi for £2.30.
    In the UK any drops are not passed on when they happen. What has happened to the fuel price investigation by the Govt? It seems quite wrong that we pay £4 odd a gallon more than the Yanks do for their gas guzzlers.:mad:
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Still a much greater percentage of independently-owned gas stations in the USA - and the penetration of supermarkets is much lower although on the increase.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    English gallon

Imperial gallon.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    I don't know why the garages don't react to shifts in the oil market prices as the American ones do. It is not uncommon for one major city garage(s) to have a change almost daily.
    Last July I was buying petrol in Montana (not the cheapest State) for the equivalent of £2.60 per English gallon and in Mississippi for £2.30.
    In the UK any drops are not passed on when they happen. What has happened to the fuel price investigation by the Govt? It seems quite wrong that we pay £4 odd a gallon more than the Yanks do for their gas guzzlers.:mad:

Considering most of the reason fuel prices are so high is thanks to the government's astronomical levels of tax levied; I'm not sure what the fuel price investigation was ever going to achieve.

It is pretty hypocritcal for them censure the oil companies for adding a few pence on here and there when they are taking 80p a litre in tax for doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.
  • vekma
    vekma Posts: 9,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sub standard petrol rather pay for decent shell/esso etc
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    vekma wrote: »
    sub standard petrol rather pay for decent shell/esso etc

Oh dear, you keep on buying the expensive stuff then - more money than sense.;)
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wholesale petrol prices fell a further 1.5p per litre yesterday - time for another cut?
  • ado
    ado Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    JezR wrote: »
    Wholesale petrol prices fell a further 1.5p per litre yesterday - time for another cut?

How much of a link is there between wholesale petrol prices and home heating prices? If forecourts can cut petrol prices why have utility companies just put theirs up by around 10% or isn't their any sort of link or similarity to the wholesale markets?
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ado wrote: »
    How much of a link is there between wholesale petrol prices and home heating prices? If forecourts can cut petrol prices why have utility companies just put theirs up by around 10% or isn't their any sort of link or similarity to the wholesale markets?
    The usual excuse peddled by the utilities is that they buy their fuel well in advance. Unfortunately it seems their buyers appear unable to purchase at a time when prices are falling. Pretty poor form if you ask me considering how astronomical their salaries must be. I could do their job with minimal training and a tenth of their wages. It would be difficult to perform any worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure