Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Just to add to my post - I have no assets here in the UK at all and we will be staying with family when we first emigrate until we can rent our own place. Obviously I think my circumstances will change and that i'll be able to continue my payments but this won't happen straight away.

Hi Eddie,

It's possible to have a DMP if you live abroad (it's much easier if you've got a UK based bank account you can safely make payments from).

The bigger issue is whether you can afford to pay anything towards your creditors while you're in the inbetween part of your move and are getting settled.

I'd recommend calling up your DMP provider. You can talk through your options with an advisor. I'd have thought your two options would be to either cancel your DMP while you're getting sorted out and then maybe set it back up again once things improve or to reduce your payment to a lower amount and then increase it when you're back in work.

It's probably less hassle to keep the DMP running and just change it but whether that's an option would depend on your DMP provider.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• crumpyface
    crumpyface Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 February 2014 at 4:05PM
    Options
    Small debt (but significant for me) problem here. I had been overcharged on my orange contract and tried to dispute with orange, they ignored me and kept chasing me for payment. I was happy to pay my correct bills as usual but wanted to resolve the issues before doing so, they were still charging me for extra services I hadn't agreed to despite being repeatedly assured it would be stopped.

I spent a huge amount of time trying to resolve but was met with a brick wall from orange. They cut my network (but kept charging) and refused to talk to me and would only put me onto an automated payment line. A few months of bills built up (bout £100) while they refused to speak to me as I tried calling and sent them letters.

They eventually cut my contract completely and I didn't hear anything for months. Months down the line and they increased the debt to £550 ( I assume this is the "charge" for cancelling the contract early), and sent debt collectors after me. I sent letters to both the collection company and orange explainign how this was inappropriate, how they were the ones refusing to co-operate, and that I was actively trying to resolve and pay them the original correct amount, and eventually they stopped chasing me. I didn't get a reply from Orange, but once again, I didn't hear anything for months.

And now I've been sent letters from another collection company explaining that Orange have defaulted me for not paying, and sold the "debt" to them.

I'm at a complete loss of what do to now and I'm at my whits end. I've been defaulted and hunted by collectors simply because I refused to roll over and pay money I did not owe.

Any help and advice gratefully received.
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    crumpyface wrote: »
    Small debt (but significant for me) problem here. I had been overcharged on my orange contract and tried to dispute with orange, they ignored me and kept chasing me for payment. I was happy to pay my correct bills as usual but wanted to resolve the issues before doing so, they were still charging me for extra services I hadn't agreed to despite being repeatedly assured it would be stopped.

I spent a huge amount of time trying to resolve but was met with a brick wall from orange. They cut my network (but kept charging) and refused to talk to me and would only put me onto an automated payment line. A few months of bills built up (bout £100) while they refused to speak to me as I tried calling and sent them letters.

They eventually cut my contract completely and I didn't hear anything for months. Months down the line and they have increased the debt to £550 ( I assume this is the "charge" for cancelling the contract early), defaulted me for not paying, and sold the "debt" to a collection company.

I'm at a complete loss of what do to now and I'm at my whits end. I've been defaulted and hunted by collectors simply because I refsed to roll over and pay money I did not owe.

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Hi there,

I know you've already tried to get this sorted out with Orange but it sounds unresolved, so I'd recommend going through their complaints process. Here's a link: http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?ARTICLE_ID=20225&CONFIGURATION=1016&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&segment=consumer&isSecure=false&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE#

If you're not happy with how they deal with your complaint then the next people to speak to are CISAS. They can act as an independent adjudicator in these sort of complaints. Here's their link: http://www.cisas.org.uk/Makeanapplication-25_e.html.

While you're going through these processes it would be a good idea to notify the debt collector that the account is in dispute and tell them you'll be back in touch once it's resolved.

If you can successfully establish that this debt shouldn't exist then Orange should remove negative information from your credit report (but they'll only do this if information was put there in error).

Good luck.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• crumpyface
    crumpyface Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 February 2014 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Hi there,

Good luck.

James

Thanks for the advice.

I already spoke to CISAS but they told me that they could not help as the issue started over a year ago (when I initially raised the dispute over charges) and Orange are refusing to communicate with me outright.

Short of hiring solicitors which I can't afford (probably cheaper to just pay the £550, though there is the default to consider also) I don't know what else to try.

EDIT: I will try the complaint system that you have linked too. I very much doubt it'll do any good going by my previous interactions with orange to date, but I haven't tried that number/address yet.
  • mmmmcupcake
    Options
    I really need some help and advice on what to do. I am a single parent, my partner left 8 years ago. We had a 190k mortgage (1300 ) a month which I kept on. I managed to pay this and all the bills for the last 4 years but then a few things happened and things started to go wrong.

I am now 28k in debt with credit cards and the monthly payments are too high for me to manage. I cannot sell the house as I am self employed and cannot get a mortgage to rehouse my daughter and I. My job as a childminder relys on my house and I am unable to do this in rented accommodation. My current mortgage company wont let me take the mortgage on my own as I don't earn enough. I cannot keep going with everything and am at breaking point... I really don't know where to turn or what to do.

I have a deed of trust on the house which I get 28% or 72k whichever is greater on the sale and have asked my ex if he will sign off his share so I can afford to buy somewhere without a mortgage but he keeps saying he will not sign anything.

I feel so stupid but need to get to grips with this as its taken over everything. please help
  • NewcastlePaul
    Options
    I have been on a StepChange DMP now for 9 years. Still a long way to go. I decided last month to try and see if I could claim PPI back.

I have received a cheque today from one of my creditors for over 8k (despite me still owing them 10k)

I owe a total of 60k still. Can I use the cash to lower balances myself or would that invalidate my DMP. Am I supposed to send it to SC to distribute equally amongst all creditors ?

Would have rang quoting reference but on 10-6 this week and next so wouldnt be able to ring up until March.
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • smiffy64
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for posting. From what you've said it sounds like you've been going about things the right way with these debts. It's important to make sure you're only paying them what you can afford after you've covered your essential living costs.

The reason you've been given for your payment offer to be rejected doesn't seem to match up with the reality of your situation. I wonder if they've had some sort of problem with your SOA.

It's hard to know but I'd be surprised if it was the food area that was the problem. £50 a week for a family of four sounds very low and £110 a week is nearer the average for this size of household.

I think the only way to know for sure what's going on would be to talk to them or maybe you could send an email if you'd rather not call.

They don't have to accept your offers of payment but at the same time their reasons for rejecting your offer don't add up, so it would be good for them to clarify.

Whether you can get an agreement accepted or not, I'd still recommend sticking to your payment. If you start paying them more then it's likely you'll come up short for a more important payment.

If you'd like more in depth advice about the long term strategy for dealing with debt then you might want to get in touch with us (details in my signature below).

Kind regards

James
    thanks for that James think i will email them as cheaper than hanging on the phone do you think it is worth attaching our letter and updated SOA?

regards
    SPC7 No. 337 - £171.72
    SPC8 No. 337 - £37.75
    SPC9 No.337 - £45.00
    MSE 7 year badge 2017
    Shiny Star from Sue-UU :staradmin
    :j:T:T:j
  • StepChange_Private_Messages
    StepChange_Private_Messages Posts: 120 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    smiffy64 wrote: »
    thanks for that James think i will email them as cheaper than hanging on the phone do you think it is worth attaching our letter and updated SOA?

regards

Hi,

Yes, it's a good idea to attach your letter and updated SOA. Make sure to keep a copy of the email.

Take care,
    James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really need some help and advice on what to do. I am a single parent, my partner left 8 years ago. We had a 190k mortgage (1300 ) a month which I kept on. I managed to pay this and all the bills for the last 4 years but then a few things happened and things started to go wrong.

I am now 28k in debt with credit cards and the monthly payments are too high for me to manage. I cannot sell the house as I am self employed and cannot get a mortgage to rehouse my daughter and I. My job as a childminder relys on my house and I am unable to do this in rented accommodation. My current mortgage company wont let me take the mortgage on my own as I don't earn enough. I cannot keep going with everything and am at breaking point... I really don't know where to turn or what to do.

I have a deed of trust on the house which I get 28% or 72k whichever is greater on the sale and have asked my ex if he will sign off his share so I can afford to buy somewhere without a mortgage but he keeps saying he will not sign anything.

I feel so stupid but need to get to grips with this as its taken over everything. please help

Hi there,

The 28k of credit card debt is a NON-priority debt. You should only be paying them from money you have left once you’ve covered your priorities (mortgage, household bills, food, travel…)

If you cannot manage you should be offering less to your credit cards. At the moment you’re struggling because you’re covering your credit first and then surviving on what’s left.

We can give you the debt advice you need, look at the solutions open to you and the best way forward.

Because you are self-employed we would need to know a little more about your situation first. We would go through a budget with you and offer the clear advice you need.

You can use our free online Debt Remedy advice tool, or if you'd prefer you can give us a call with your budget info and we’ll go from there.

Many Thanks,
    Jess
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been on a StepChange DMP now for 9 years. Still a long way to go. I decided last month to try and see if I could claim PPI back.

I have received a cheque today from one of my creditors for over 8k (despite me still owing them 10k)

I owe a total of 60k still. Can I use the cash to lower balances myself or would that invalidate my DMP. Am I supposed to send it to SC to distribute equally amongst all creditors ?

Would have rang quoting reference but on 10-6 this week and next so wouldnt be able to ring up until March.

Hi there,

This looks like something that can be cleared up with a quick phone call. We're open from 8am - are you able to give us a call first thing of a morning? If not, get back to me and we can arrange for someone to give you a call when you're free.

Thanks,
    Jess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family