Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• StepChange_Private_Messages
    StepChange_Private_Messages Posts: 120 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frank9254 wrote: »
    I'm trying to fill out an income and expenditure form. I'm not earning. OH is paying for everything. Given that it is my debt, do I have to disclose OH's details?

Hi Frank9254,

The income and expenditure is to prove to your creditors that your household budget is so stretched that you can’t afford to pay what they are asking. If you don’t include your partners’ income they will have no way of knowing that.

Your partner will have no liability to pay your debts but by including their income in a budget it shows a creditor how you are living day-today but also that you do not have the money to pay your debts.
    You should then offer a small payment until you are in a stronger position.

We offer a confidential online tool – Debt Remedy – that uses your budget details to provide a personal action plan and recommends solutions. It includes a copy of your budget that you can forward onto your creditors.

Hope this helps,

Jess
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • vikwikx
    vikwikx Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum:)

I’d recommend that your son speaks to the utility provider to see when this bill came from. He’d also need to make it clear that he’s no longer at the property.

If he’s still on speaking terms with his ex-girlfriend they may be able to come to an agreement to pay the bill between them.

If he’s struggling to pay this amount now, the utility company may accept lower payments over a longer period. It’s important he only agrees to pay what he can afford.
    If he’s disputing he owes the debt he might want to speak to his local CAB.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mat
    thank you for your reply mat. he has phoned the utility debt people and they are going to accept a payment from when he moved in until he was kicked out.thank you again:)
  • Bev45
    Bev45 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2013 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Hello
    I'm new to this forum! We are thinking of entering a DMP, between my husband and I we have £40,000 of debt (loan and credit cards) We have kept up with our payments, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. A DMP sounds like a good idea and will help us a lot, but I'm worried about our mortgage, we are only paying interest only at the moment and can't afford to change that, our circumstances will get better when I go back to work (we have a new baby) but am just looking for advice off other people who have entered a DMP and how its effected them. Have received advice from Step Change Debt charity and they been very helpful.

Thanks

Just read this properly and have seen that the advisors are from Step Change charity, probably won't be able to give me anymore advice than the good advice you have already given me!! I just wanted to see what others who have had DMP's experiences are!
    Bev:(
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi Bev45, for me personally the DMP has been an absolute lifeline,but that was because I couldn't afford repayments and was robbing Peter to pay Paul, as for my credit rating side, while to be honest that was shot before I even went into a DMP.

If your situation changes, then your account get reassessed and goes from there, have a look at the debt remedy as that give u an idea of expenditure /income.

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Bev45
    Bev45 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mum2one, thanks for your reply, thats what I feel we are doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul!! It does feel like it will be a lifeline, we have two small children and I feel we will be able to give them a better life as we won't be as stressed/worried, but then its a worry entering a DMP!
    Bev:(
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    edited 20 June 2013 at 10:53PM
    Options
    Hi again, Bev

http://moneyaware.co.uk/2012/09/facing-up-to-my-debts/

I've included a link from an article that was in the stepchange online magazine, - that was my story in Sept last yr, and now the difference in me is unbelievable, I have a life, touch wood all my creditors are ok, even when due to a change in my financial situation, I had to change my DMP and reduced by 20%.

I have about 10 creditors, most have dropped the interest, a couple have done low apr, one just keeps at full rate 12 mths ago that would have eat me up, now I don't stress, (ok maybe a little wobble here and there), but compared to dreading each call, each time the postman come.

For me the line in the article about giving my daughter £1 to go the shop with, for some people that is nothing, but for me pre DMP days it may as well be £100.

I can give my daughter a better life by being on a dmp, and I would say to anyone please seek advice, - at first on a DMP u may get a get a couple of calls, every creditor claims to be more important than the rest - there not, you need a life and if a DMP is the way forward then its the right path to take. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Former_StepChange_Rachel
    Former_StepChange_Rachel Posts: 252 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Bev45 wrote: »
    Hello
    I'm new to this forum! We are thinking of entering a DMP, between my husband and I we have £40,000 of debt (loan and credit cards) We have kept up with our payments, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. A DMP sounds like a good idea and will help us a lot, but I'm worried about our mortgage, we are only paying interest only at the moment and can't afford to change that, our circumstances will get better when I go back to work (we have a new baby) but am just looking for advice off other people who have entered a DMP and how its effected them. Have received advice from Step Change Debt charity and they been very helpful.

Thanks

Just read this properly and have seen that the advisors are from Step Change charity, probably won't be able to give me anymore advice than the good advice you have already given me!! I just wanted to see what others who have had DMP's experiences are!

Hi there Bev,

Just to reiterate the advice given to you by mum2one, I'm very glad you've been in touch with us to look at your options. Rest assured that you certainly don't have to face these debts alone. You can find lots of support here on the forum, and we're happy to answer any questions.

In regards to the DMP, it's one of the most flexible debt solutions a person can have because it's all based on your disposable income. As mum2one has stated, the DMP payment can be reduced if necessity demands.

If we've recommended a DMP for you but you're still not sure, please feel free to think things over and let your creditors know you've at least spoken to us. The reason our DMPs have a great success rate is because they are built around your needs, and we look into all options for you before we give our advice.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to ask.

Best regards

Rachel
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• idiotod
    Options
    I was allowed to raise my Overdraft limits to £15,000 on two seperate accounts with RBS despite only earning £24,000p/a. I ended up over spending and used up the overdraft limits and with interest I am now £38,000 in debt unsecured.
    I know this is my fault, but is there any blame with RBS here with giving me access to this amount of money unsecured? I have spoken with them and they just tell me it is my fault and I must pay all back. I understand this but I also feel that should have stopped me from getting into such a bad position.
    Any comments would be appreciated
  • jaynelynn
    jaynelynn Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Today I have received a summons for repossession...I am 1800 in arrears with my mortgage and have broken past payment arrangements. We are both out of work and are really struggling....what are our options or is this it? We are in Northern Ireland xx:(
  • amjack
    amjack Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I have racked up a debt with Very/Shop Direct at around £1100. I am just managing to pay the minimum monthly amount back each month (around £70), but with interest etc this is making no dent in the debt. I have an overdraft of £300 which is am always eating into each month.

After household bills, I have £550 per month. £200 goes on car fuel, £22 on my phone and £8 on pet insurance. How much should I be offering to pay Very? I want to set up a monthly standing order but am unsure how much I should be paying, as well as trying to save so I can clear my overdraft.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport