Halfords complaint

Options
2»

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    It never occurred to me to ask if my steering wheel control would work with the new CD player I had installed in my car by Halfords last year. When it didn't, I just resigned myself to using the buttons on the CD player.

I should have asked at Halfords before they installed it, and I take full responsibility for not asking. Its not that important, in the grand scheme of things, is it?
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    I think there are two sides to this. Halfords should have advised the op of the new setup and the pro's and cons but likewise the op should have been aware of their requirements and what they wanted. Customers do make blunders though and thats where places like Halfords should be smart enough to give proper advice.

Has to be said though I've not trusted Halfords for a few years now. I used to think they were the ultimate but in the last few years their service has really slipped. I go in my local branch and am lucky to get grunt from half of the minimum wage staff. My partner found one of them pushing trolleys at the local sainsburys a while back - they get paid more than the nmw as i know someone else who was doing it at £7.50ph
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you tell us the make and model of the stereo, and the make, model and year of the car, you may be pleasantly surprised that it IS possible...
  • saz_d
    saz_d Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    It was a Phillips model, not sure what one but it was not compatable with stealing controls. I am now getting a diffrent make which is the similar and compatable with the wheel controls with the extra parts. So that sides sorted.

But I get all your points, I should have specified I wanted them to work, and should have asked. No complaints letter will be sent lol! Just take it as a learning day!
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    As above, Halfords did nowt wrong.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    saz_d wrote: »
    It was a Phillips model, not sure what one but it was not compatable with stealing controls. I am now getting a diffrent make which is the similar and compatable with the wheel controls with the extra parts. So that sides sorted.

But I get all your points, I should have specified I wanted them to work, and should have asked. No complaints letter will be sent lol! Just take it as a learning day!

You could send them a letter thanking them for putting it right
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Post 15 - OP not complaining, understands everyone's points. No need to keep reinforcing them now.

Anyone got helpful stuff to say on making the new one work with the old controls? As Tricky said OP - post up the exact model, it might well be written on the front and/or they should have given you the box!
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Halfords admitted they were at fault for not askin about steering controls and as a result my time has been wasted. The manager said that to me, and i got a good service out of him as i was poliet about the situation.

so that's why I'm asking the question as I do not know a lot about these things, if I had been served well in the first place I would not have had my time wasted. The new stereo is still in the budget I had so it was possible to do this first time around.

They're sorting it out, and you have to take at least some responsibility for not stating your car had steering wheel controls and you expected them to work. I'd hazard a guess and say not every model of your car has them.

You asked for a cd player fitted, and you got that. You werent happy and halfords sorted it out.

By seemingly expecting compensation / discount / partial refund you're coming across as being a prime example of the 'claim culture' prevalent these days - its always someone elses fault and they should pay.
  • motorguy
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    You could send them a letter thanking them for putting it right

Bearing in mind they had to take back a head unit they can no longer sell as new....
  • motorguy
    Options

Halfords admitted they were at fault

No, the manager said the assistant should have asked had your car steering controls. Thats not admitting they were at fault

Likewise, you should have told them, and not 'hoped' or 'assumed'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport