Bank's pro forma letters not being filled in

Options
I am so frustrated with Lloyds. I have put in a claim for PPI I was not aware had been applied to my credit card. They have written to me rejecting the claim saying they have looked at all the evidence (i.e. my file) with the following words: "you completed the application on [enter date]". Aarrgh. So I called them to point out that either they hadn't investigated the complaint very well (i.e. didn't have the answer), or had simply not completed their pro-forma letter very well (we're all human...), and they said they would look into it and write to me again. They've sent me exactly the same letter, with the same blooming square brackets!! If they really are looking into my claim properly, why are they unable to disclose the date the policy was taken out?!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lorela1 wrote: »
    I am so frustrated with Lloyds. I have put in a claim for PPI I was not aware had been applied to my credit card.
    Since PPI on credit cards appears on each and every monthly statement it's very difficult to complain that you weren't aware of it. The exception to this is if you always paid off your balance each month. In this case PPI would not be on your statement, but that would be because you didn't pay any!

If you remain dissatisfied with the Bank's responses, then the next stage of your complaint is to refer it to the Ombudsman.
    Details here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...nsurance#step4
  • Lorela1
    Options
    I know it sounds daft, but I was away at uni at the time, with statements being sent to my home address while I was away. I didn't keep a terribly close eye on the statements, just basically made sure I paid off what I could and/or needed to. Not the best example of responsibility I grant you, but an honest case of not being informed when I first took the thing out. Just a bit frustrated now that even their response seems to be totally inadequate.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

You could request for a copy of the agreement by writing a simple letter and enclose £1 cheque or postal, they should provide this to you by say 12 to 14 days.

Firstly, is the account still active?

Do you have any paperwork/statements that show you are/were paying PPI?
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Lorela1
    Options
    I closed the account a while ago, and went paperless a long time before that, so I don't have any of the documents unfortunately, which is another reason why I think I didn't spot the fact that it was there.
    I think a copy of the agreement is probably the right route to go down, and will likely give it a go.
    But seriously- sqaure brackets left in even once they have been complained about?! ;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not the best example of responsibility I grant you, but an honest case of not being informed when I first took the thing out. Just a bit frustrated now that even their response seems to be totally inadequate.
    Why would you not be informed originally? PPI was not just randomly applied, regardless of what cold-calling claim companies might tell you.
    PPI was regularly mis-sold to people, but I've yet to see a proven case where it was applied totally without the consent of the customer. Most just didn't read what they were signing or have "selective memory" about it.
    As I said, if you remain dissatisfied you can refer to the Ombudsman, but without any evidence your complaint is weak.
  • di3004
    Options
    I closed the account a while ago, and went paperless a long time before that, so I don't have any of the documents unfortunately, which is another reason why I think I didn't spot the fact that it was there.
    I think a copy of the agreement is probably the right route to go down, and will likely give it a go.
    But seriously- sqaure brackets left in even once they have been complained about?! ;-)

Hi

Goodness knows.

If they had something to go when they investigated your complaint, they must still hold details, so another way to retrieve your information would be to send them a full Subject Access Request (SAR).
    This is of course optional, letter template below link if you decide to want to do this.
    They have up to 40 calendar days to comply and send you what they still hold on the account.
    You enclose the fee of £10 cheque or postal order.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

This is the address I used for my SAR.

LLOYDS TSB BANK PLC
    DSAR TEAM
    CUSTOMER SERVICES
    RECOVERY TEAM
    CHARLTON PLACE C57
    ANDOVER
    HAMPSHIRE
    SP10 1RE

I was rather lucky to receive data going all the way back to the mid 90's.
    But it's not guaranteed that they hold any data beyond the last 6 years.

If they're unable to provide you with anything, they will return your payment with usually a letter to explain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is no point wasting your time with this, primarily because the Bank won't provide the agreements of a closed account, but also because you have already had your "full and final" response from the Bank. By responding with a reiteration of their original rejection, Lloyds are informing you that any further challenges are futile.
    FOS really is your only alternative now;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step4
  • Lorela1
    Options
    Thanks- I'll have a think in the morning- just couldn't believe they mucked it up twice!
    In answer to why would it have been randomly applied, I talked the credit card application through with a staff member. I certainly didn't have it's addition explained to me- I would not have taken it out if it had been optional to me, which is why I was surprised to find it had been on there. I had other cards and loans and always, always declined PPI.
  • di3004
    Options
    They have to comply to the SAR under the Data Protection Act (DPA), but as Moneyinepitude says, if the account is closed the chances are they will not provide a copy of the CCA.
    Which was why I asked in my above post if it was an active or settled account.

Even though the SAR is optional, it's possible they will likely send information in relation of the account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks- I'll have a think in the morning- just couldn't believe they mucked it up twice!
    The reason is you had already had your "full and final" response which you then challenged. The staff member responsible for sending you the second response would just have sent a copy of the original without proof reading it.
    It definitely indicates that without new and compelling evidence the Bank won't entertain any more challenges to it's rejection decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure