Taken off incapacity benefit

Options
I was taken off incapacity benefit after failing the medical. Was finished on capability grounds 8 years ago. (degenerative disk disseas and tears) I would like to find something, but not confident. Told that i can't get job seekers benefit because of ill health pension. Saw disability adviser my CV, she told me not to say that i have a bad back. also their is no funds for training. I feel that I do not have a chance, and that i am trapped.

Comments

• PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    Help, personally I don't think you have been given good advice. I would tick the disability box, at interview they cannot ask you direct questions about a disability, though they can ask direct questions about whether or not you are able to do x, y and z. There are plenty of jobs that people with DDD can do. I have the condition too and it does preclude some jobs, I can't carry anything, lift anything or stand for more than a few minutes but there are lots of jobs I could physically do nevertheless. If you don't tick the disability box you will lose a lot of the protection you would otherwise have gained if there are any problems in the future with your back.
    Have you thought about retraining? Are there are college courses? Any subjects you are interested in?
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    Have you appealed the decision not to allow you onto ESA?

You need a doctors sicknote from the date you IB ended and an appeal form and they should pay you on ESA Appeal.
  • Help111
    Help111 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    No haven't appealed the decision. I wanted to try and do something, just frustrated that they put me off, signing on. as I would not get anything.
  • Steve_k243
    Options
    I have DDD amongst other problems. Although currently out of work I have done 3 X 3-4 month contracts in the last year. Prior to that it was a nightmare finding work. Since the Equality Act 2010 you do not have to declare any disability until a firm offer of employment is received.
    I am pretty certain I wouldn't have got the last contract had the manager known about my disabilities, such was his attitude when he saw my application for a parking bay "If I can't have one why should you" The fact it was based on my disability was lost on him.

As for training I am seeing an adviser at my local Jobcentre next week, who recently told me there are courses / funding available. I think this can vary with postcode and the commitment of staff however.
  • epitome
    Options
    Then you should appeal within 1 month, leave it later than that and you should still appeal but it's not guaranteed to be accepted.

You can still look for work on appeal, you can still visit the jobcentre. The only difference is that you will be getting a benefit paid to help you along (£71 a week) and you won't have to jump through the jobcentres hurdles and loops.

It's a no-brainer to me.
  • Help111
    Help111 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your info, I have been told that I can't get any money because I have an ill health pension.
  • epitome
    Options
    Can't get any money on what? JSA or ESA appeal

I don't see why you wouldn't get money on ESA appeal because presumably you got money on IB before this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure