Conservatories - style and roofing questions

Ok, we have some quotes and we are more confused than before.

Is it worth paying extra for glass roof? Rather than polycarbonate?

We live in a detached dorma bungalow and the conservatory is going to go on the side of the house where it has already been extended, we have the option of a lean to style roof or an Edwardian, Edwardian I know will give height but when the floor space is 6 metres by 4 metres is it necessarily? Would Edwardian look odd because it would go up from the existing tiled roof we have? (this bit is a bit waffle and I know no one can really say).

Any experiences of roofing?
:rotfl:

Replies

  • Russe11Russe11 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    I personally would not have either, solid insulated roof every time for me. maybe with skylights if desired.

    Spending more money on higher quality glass and frames and the base structure, ok so its not a conservatory then but you will actually end up with a all year round usable space.
  • Thanks - I imagine that may cost thousands more though :)
    :rotfl:
  • Glass roof minimum if you want a usable space year round.
  • SuzieSueSuzieSue Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    Glass roof minimum if you want a usable space year round.

    In my experience, you are never going to get a year round usable space with a conservatory regardless of the type of roof (I've got one with a glass roof). It will be too cold to use between about October and March and depending on which way your garden faces, it might be too hot for several months as well.

    If you want to use it all year round, don't waste your money on a conservatory as you will be seriously disappointed.

    I love my conservatory, but I only use it when it is warm enough and I do not need the space all year round.
  • SuzieSue wrote: »
    In my experience, you are never going to get a year round usable space with a conservatory regardless of the type of roof (I've got one with a glass roof). It will be too cold to use between about October and March and depending on which way your garden faces, it might be too hot for several months as well.

    If you want to use it all year round, don't waste your money on a conservatory as you will be seriously disappointed.

    I love my conservatory, but I only use it when it is warm enough and I do not need the space all year round.

    Thank you. It won't be space that we use all year round. We will probably only use it n the summer. We may let the children play in there during the winter and that's it, but to be fair that probably won't happen either.

    We have decided to have a hip Edwardian style. But now thinking we may use polycarbonate as we wont be i there when it rains so wont hear it anyway.
    :rotfl:
  • SuzieSueSuzieSue Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    papermoney wrote: »

    We have decided to have a hip Edwardian style. But now thinking we may use polycarbonate as we wont be i there when it rains so wont hear it anyway.

    Glass does look so much better than pc, but is more expensive. We actually got the Pilkington self cleaning glass which is great for lazy people like us.
  • You can get a very thick poly roof specificed which will minimise noise in rain and help slightly with insulation. The biggest advantage of a glass over poly roof IMo is the ability you can see up through it.

    If only used as asummer room and occassional off season use with alarge heater they can work fine if you accept their limitations
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals