edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
9 replies 1.2K views
sharonfrancissharonfrancis Forumite
84 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hello
After some advice please.....
I have received 2 letters from Halifax stating they will not uphold my complaint.
My main reasons were:
1 I believe PPI was front loaded (consolidated into loan)
2 PPI covers 3 consecutive months for back pain – if I would have suffered with back pain I would have received 6 months full pay from my employer.
3 PPI only covers 12 months unemployment. The loan was for 60months
4 Policy not fit for purpose
5 I had been with my employer for 16 years when I took out loan / PPI. Had I been made redundant I would have received a reasonable payout.

Halifax have stated MY reasons for complaint were:
1 You were not advised of the main features, exclusions, or limitations of PPI
2 You were lef to believe that taking PPI would improve chances of getting PPI
3 you were not asked for info about what you wanted or needed from the PPI
4 you were not asked if you had existing means of protecting the loan
5 you were not advised the max period for which you could claim

Am I being thick here but have they ignored MY number 1 - about the PPi being consolidated?!

They have justified my the complaints they have listed above and if I am being honest they are prob right despite the one below being tad bit underhand

1) policy booklet explained benefits and limitations - I do not agree that the PPI was fit for purpose. if the loan was for 60mths but I was made unemployed they would only cover me for 12mths or that the PPI covers 3 consecutive months for back pain – if I would have suffered with back pain I would have received 6 months full pay from my employer. This strikes me as not being fit for purpose. But I guess if policy book says all this and I didnt read - my bad!

There is no mention on the actual letter of this being final response letter (though first copy was lost in post so when I chased up on phone they said THIS was the final response). They have said if I do not agree to call / write to them......

As I mentioned this is the 2nd letter not upholding...... the first letter was very similiar content but my concern is they are ignoring the front loading complaint. I paid 1 amount each month not a seperate amount for PPI - assume this is front loading?

I am complaining about 3 loans and they written 1 letter for all 3 loans - is this right!? Surely they should be assessing each loan seperately and on its own merits?

Replies

• edited 31 October 2012 at 2:50PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 31 October 2012 at 2:50PM
    I am complaining about 3 loans and they written 1 letter for all 3 loans - is this right!? Surely they should be assessing each loan seperately and on its own merits?
    You have complained about a three loan consolidation chain, that's why you have received only one letter declining your complaint rather than one for each loan.

As you obviously remain dissatisfied with the Bank's responses, the next stage of your complaint is to refer it to FOS. You have six months from the date of the first letter they sent you in which to do this.
    Details here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step4

Do be aware the Ombudsman process is currently taking in excess of a year...
  • Thanks for your prompt response.... 2 of the loans were consolidated.....

is it worth mentioning that the first letter I received was just about 1 loan - the first one.......

Any view on the front-loading? Is it worth going back to them? or should I just go straight to the FOS?

Yes Im aware of the lengthy process.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Is it worth going back to them? or should I just go straight to the FOS?
    No point going back to them (again) unless you can provide new and compelling evidence not in your original complaint.
    Off to FOS, I think...
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Single premium is not seeing the same success rates nowadays as it once did. There have been some court cases where the courts have ruled with the lender and maybe these have been seen by the FOS and factored into their decision making.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • No point going back to them (again) unless you can provide new and compelling evidence not in your original complaint.
    Off to FOS, I think...

I may not be able to provide new or compelling evidence but the fact theyve ignored my no1 complaint seems a little unfair - dont you agree?

you have advised going FOS route if I feel its not fair which I will. Just wondered what your thoughts were on them actually ignoring my main complaint.....
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I Just wondered what your thoughts were on them actually ignoring my main complaint.....

Obviously I haven't read your complaint letters or the Bank's responses, so can't make an informed comment.

All I can tell you is that FOS was set up for exactly this kind of impasse between Bank and customer; just a pity they are so swamped and it takes so long...
  • Thanks for your advice Moneyineptitude

It was always listed the front loaded complaint as number 1 in my list of complaints. (seems you are much more knowledgeable about this then I am so happy to share letters if you would like to see / offer me your opinion)

Or

Would it be worth writing to them again and asking why they have ignored that particular complaint?

Or should I just go with FOS? Would prefer to avoid as you mention it is a lengthy process...but will do what I have to do.....
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Would it be worth writing to them again and asking why they have ignored that particular complaint?
    There really is no point if they've already rejected you twice. All another letter from you will do is elicit a carbon copy of their original "full and final" response in reply.

Take this to FOS now; you've exhausted the other avenues.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Halifax have stated MY reasons for complaint were:
    ...You were lef to believe that taking PPI would improve chances of getting PPI

Well - yes it would, wouldn't it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals