Toshiba Portege - good deal or not?

Options
Slinky_Malinky
Slinky_Malinky Posts: 896 Forumite
edited 31 October 2012 at 2:26PM in Techie Stuff
What do you think of this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/288876-toshiba-portege-z830-10n-ultrabook-pt224e-00h00len

It is only an i3 - I know I could probably get an i5 3rd gen for same money but I am attratced by the light weight (only 1.12kg) and the 5 year guarantee. My uses would be general surfing (mostly forums, ebay & Amazon), online shopping, maybe watching iplayer or netflix/lovefilm. No gaming or heavy use for docments, just the odd letter to school. I would like to rip my music CDs on there but my collection is not huge. I have an external disk drive so no problem that it does not have one.

I have no techie knowledge but have tried to research this myself and know that an SSD is good, the Toshibas seem to be fairly reliable and the Portege has had good reviews. The price seems very good compared to other Portege models. Is there anything in this spec and price that should put me off buying it please?

Edited to addthis as a possible alternative...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-U940-Ultrabook-Bluetooth/dp/B009HQ6SUO/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=340831031&s=computers

Beter processor 3rd gen i5 but has 500gbHDD and 32 gb SSD, no idea how much difference this will make in daily use compared to 128gb SSD, both have 4gb RAM, plus this one is heavier.

Thanks in advance,
SM

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The Portege is Toshiba's premium brand. Note that you only get 128 GB of hard disk, admittedly in the form of an SSD.

You are probably paying £150-£200 more for either of these two laptops than you need to, for what you say you want to use them for!
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got the crappiest laptop ever Toshiba Equium M50, faulty disk - had it replaced and new one died, slow slow so blooming slow you can wet yourself waiting for it to boot into crappy XP. I will never touch a Toshiba again.
  • Slinky_Malinky
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have been dithering for months about which laptop to buy but not taken the plunge. I have only ever had two desktop pcs and want to buy something that will hopefully last me several years.

After reading through the threads on this forum I now wonder whether the Google nexus 10 may be a better option for me - very light weight, could buy a seperate keyboard/case thingy for when needed. Just not sure how nice the 10 inch screen would be as I am used to my desktop`s huge screen. Can`t be too bad as there are plenty of folk out there loving their 7 and 10 inch tablets.
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think as a minimum for home usage, you need a laptop with 15inch screen. If its to carry about with out day to day, then I would go for a more costly 13 inch one. I prefer Dell, you get decent performance for a reasonable price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure