Seperated from my partner

Recently had the police come and remove my partner from my property and now communication has broken down. I have twins under the age of two and I have bills piling up from previous months where he hasn't been paying them.
He hasn't supplied me with any money for bills and I only get my benefits in around 6-8 weeks. Im terrified of what to do as my children are small and the weather isnt getting any warmer.
He always made the bills go in my name and now I fear about getting into a whole lot of debt.

What can I do?

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    1. Don't panic!
    2. 'Phone your utility suppliers and explain what's happened. If there are outstanding bills you will be able to set up a repayment plan. Try and avoid going onto card meters as they cost more.
    3. Look around this site for more info and help with specific issues, such as involving CSA.

Apologies for my brevity [due to a thumping headache], and welcome to MSE!
  • go_cat
    go_cat Posts: 2,509
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Contact the CSA

Go to entitled to.com and see what benefits you are entitled to and put In a claim as a single person

Can you sell anything on eBay?

Look on free cycle for things that may keep you warm ..can make it fun with kids blankets dens etc on the sofa snuggled up :)

Good luck life will get better
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you checked to make sure you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to?
    Have you contacted the CSA? If he's refusing to give you any money voluntarily then go through them and make sure you get what he should be paying towards his children.
    As mentioned above if you contact your suppliers and explain the situation they should be able to arrange a repayment plan with you.
    If you're really struggling you can apply for a Crisis Loan and they will take repayments at a few pounds from your benefits when they come.
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    So sorry to hear this. It may help to sit down and look at all your expenses, and do a complete budget. Scary at first but it helps to get a complete overview. Can you cancel any non-necessities, and perhaps make a plan for downgrading to cheaper accommodation if needed? Maybe you have a nice competent best friend or mum who can help if you need support. If you put in a claim with the CSA for child maintenance you won't need to deal with your ex directly, perhaps that may help. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure