Connecting Sky box to TV with no Scart connector

Options
Daughter has bought a new TV for the bedroom that has no Scart connector, she wants to hook it up to an old Sky box (not HD and therefore no HDMI connector on the Skybox).

As I understand it my options are to get a Scart to 3 x rca connector and a suitable cable for audio, or to connect the tv to the Skybox via RF2 output on the box and by tuning the TV to the appropriate analogue channel.

Which of these options would give the best picture quality? and is there a better alternative I haven't discovered?

Thanks

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If you mean go from SCART on Skybox to 3 x phono (Left, Right, Video) on TV, then she'd need a lead like this. This will carry audio and video.

Going via the analogue RF output will be worse quality.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you find a TV without SCART?! Anyway- doesn't the Sky box have the yellow, red and white (RCA) connectors at the back of it anyway? If so, and if you have the cables (ANY phono/RCA cables will do) then just use those. I can't see the point in buying a SCART to phono cable as the quality will be lost anyway.
    The RF signal will be worse than this, yes.
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The TV has a built in DVD player so I guess the logic is that there is no need for a scart connection.

The Sky box is old - only connections on rear are 2 x Scart, 2 x RF out and 2 x phono for audio, so options are limited.

I have connected it via the RF out and the picture quality is OK - definately watch able. I will see how she gets on with it and buy a scart converter if needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure