Google Nexus vs Samsung Galaxy Tab

Options
I'm deciding between a Google Nexus tablet versus the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 range.

Is there a clear winner in such a comparison.

I'm not yet sure which size to go for (7 inch or the new 10inch) - but which one would most people go for?

Infact - isn't the new Google Nexus 10 made by Samsung..in which case is it the same thing as the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10 inch)? And both are not 3G , right?

Finding all this tablet stuff confusing...

Thanks
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

Comments

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Go into a shop. Use both of them and find out which suits your needs better.

IIRC the new Galaxy tab 10 uses ice cream sandwich still where as IIRC the nexus uses Jellybean - the latest. And Samsung are not that quick to offer an upgrade either.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The new Nexus 10 will have an insanely high resolution screen, as well as very fast internal componenets. Just because Samsung make it doesn't mean it'll be the same as another Samsung tab. Will also have JellyBean 4.2 with a few new features like user switching.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    The £50 cash back muddies the waters a bit, doesn't it? Net you can get the Tab 2 10" for £228 or thereabouts, the Nexus 10 will be £319 and I'm suspecting you will be struggling to get much of a discount and no company sponsored cash back. But the Nexus 10, specs-wise, is in a different league to the Tab 2. I'm going for the Nexus 10, personally. It's just £50 more than the 7" tab from the market leader. Says it all, really.
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Nexus 10 doesn't have 3G option as far as I can tell so with the Tab2 often being sold for £299.99 and a further £50 cashback that might make your mind up.

The Nexus is a better spec and will have updates more often so if 3G isn't required then it may be the better bet.

I've got the 10.1" Tab2 3G and very pleased with it and with the cashback it cost me £249.99 so consider it pretty good deal.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have a Nexus (OK, well technically, my 7 year old son has it, for Christmas, but i am playing with it...got to test it out you see ;) ) and i LOVE it!
    I wont ever let my son leave the house with it, so 3G wasnt important in my decision to be honest.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    The Nexus 10 doesn't have 3G option as far as I can tell so with the Tab2 often being sold for £299.99 and a further £50 cashback that might make your mind up.

The Nexus is a better spec and will have updates more often so if 3G isn't required then it may be the better bet.

I've got the 10.1" Tab2 3G and very pleased with it and with the cashback it cost me £249.99 so consider it pretty good deal.

Agreed but £299 is not the regular price for the 3G version to be fair; AFAIAA it occasionally shows up on Amazon for that price but you have to be quick. It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of the Tab 2 when the Nexus 10 actually becomes available on the 13th. Will it come down further or is that what the £50 cash back was all about?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    3g is only important if you plan on using the internet when you're out and about and don't have a smartphone...
    with the devices here i would go for the nexus device, that way you are getting a device that google have hand in designing (so hopefully should be one of the best for the software) and software updates come direct from google rather than waiting for another manufaturer to take the software and adjust it, also as previously mentioned the spec of the screen on the 10 looks great for the money
  • Big_Stan
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    3g is only important if you plan on using the internet when you're out and about and don't have a smartphone...
    with the devices here i would go for the nexus device, that way you are getting a device that google have hand in designing (so hopefully should be one of the best for the software) and software updates come direct from google rather than waiting for another manufaturer to take the software and adjust it, also as previously mentioned the spec of the screen on the 10 looks great for the money

This is what sold it for me as well, although the next problem I face is deciding on what size is best for my needs. Thinking 32gb is suitable as I will be using it for both work and pleasure but already have a mobile device for any music I may want to store. Also, Google drive is available for stuff online which could reduce the need for 64gb?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    they are releasing google music at the same time as the 10, so you can have all your music on their servers rather than your device (with the option to download some if you want it available offline) so that might reduce your need for space, tbh I reckon no matter what space you have, you'll eventually fill it up!!
    and you always have the option of getting an otg cable with a card reader/external drive if you really need loads of room...
  • Mikebellows
    Options
    Nexus 7 Is about to be launched with 3G - check out Google play website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure