Car insurance - Photographer

Options
Hello all...

Are there any photographers out there who wouldn't mind helping me with some car insurance information?

My partner is employed full time as a product photographer - in a studio (no location shoots) and I have just enquired about adding him on to my car insurance policy (partner's age = 26).

Quote returned was ridiculously high and I was advised that his occupation is a high risk one. Partner would be driving my car very infrequently.

Just wondering if any other photographers have had similar experiences? I do not want to give misleading info on the car insurance quote but feel frustrated as his occupation is no more risky than, say, an office worker, with regards to the car insurance (i.e. partner is based in one place all day, not driving around with the photography equipment)

All equipment is insured separately.

Thanks,

H

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    little-h wrote: »
    ......All equipment is insured separately.....

"Equipment" is an issue why insurers don't "like" photographers, and insuring it separately is irrelevant! (The separate insurance doesn't cover the damage to the car caused by the thieves).

See if a local broker (not swinton) can help find a sympathetic insurer when your policy is up for renewal.

In the meantime you are stuck with either paying what your insurer asks or him not being on your policy.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried slight variations photographer/studio photographer/product photographer? Not sure if it would make much difference though.

Does OH have his own car? Is he covered 3rd party to drive other cars?
  • floopnoodle
    Options
    If his job is to show the product in it's best light then he's certainly a Marketer/Advertising Executive, much cheaper on the insurance. Unless he spends most of his time editing the photos on a computer, then he is a Computer Operative, or taking orders, invoicing and chasing payment, then he is an Admin Assistant.
  • little-h
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies!

Looks like he will have to carry on commuting on his bicycle! I will try variations at some point, for the time being though bike it is!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    little-h wrote: »

Quote returned was ridiculously high and I was advised that his occupation is a high risk one. Partner would be driving my car very infrequently.

Looks like he will have to carry on commuting on his bicycle!

Infrequent commuting?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure