Debit Card Trickery - santander

Options
2»

Comments

• dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    bigk77irl wrote: »
    they got the computers and most banks are open 24/7 either through phone or internet so why not ditch the old archaic system of 5.5 days a week banking?

Retailers have floor limits. Anything under their limit will be batch processed by the RETAILER when they feel like it.
    So your bank won't know about it till they recieve the data.

Makes you wonder how we used to manage when we did not have access to 24/7 banking....

OH yea, CASH, when close to limits and going away :T
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    A retailer can quite legally wait months before deciding to debit your account (I think the max is 6 months for a debit or credit card transaction), so you have two choices:

You need to write down everything you have spent and not depend on the bank giving you correct information (they can only tell you what they know).

Or you need to just say "Our budget is £x", withdraw that money and when its gone, its gone.

I know someone who does the later with his entire salary each month. Has pots for "Gas", "Electric", "Food", etc, and spends the rest. When he runs out of cash, he can't buy anything else. Never goes overdrawn and never got any bank charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure