Dro advice?

Hi wondering if anyone can help ive had a look on some websites in regards to my debt and i have been suggested for a dro.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any advice maybe from people who have already gone through this.

What information do i need to provide to apply for a dro?

do i need to supply bank statements and if so how many?, how do they check your bank accounts?

an expenditure form for what i pay per month? and how do they check this? ask for rent proof, council tax proof?

proof of income? (im on esa now)

how do they work out assets? i have no house no car, no savings, but do take things like tvs, computers etc in the house count? would they come around to your house?

i assume proof of all my debts? (around £9,000 at present)

also ive started paying £25 per month on one debt but this will be a push does this affect it?

i currently being chased by a number of companies, calls all the time, letters etc and its getting to me, if i had the money i would pay them but im finding it hard and i dont know what is the best thing.

all my debts have defaults on them and most of these would come off my credit file in 2017 so having a dro on my file for 6 years to be honest wouldnt really make that much different for the timescales. 2018

also what happens if i managed to check a job and a dro is revoked? is it still registered on your credit file for 6 years but you have to start paying the debts as well?

i cant find anywhere that gives the details for the application documents to apply for, only these 20 sec tests that all advise me to apply for a dro.

thank you for any advice and help.

Comments

• wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Hi wondering if anyone can help ive had a look on some websites in regards to my debt and i have been suggested for a dro.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any advice maybe from people who have already gone through this.

What information do i need to provide to apply for a dro?

do i need to supply bank statements and if so how many?, how do they check your bank accounts?

an expenditure form for what i pay per month? and how do they check this? ask for rent proof, council tax proof?

proof of income? (im on esa now)

how do they work out assets? i have no house no car, no savings, but do take things like tvs, computers etc in the house count? would they come around to your house?

i assume proof of all my debts? (around £9,000 at present)

also ive started paying £25 per month on one debt but this will be a push does this affect it?

i currently being chased by a number of companies, calls all the time, letters etc and its getting to me, if i had the money i would pay them but im finding it hard and i dont know what is the best thing.

all my debts have defaults on them and most of these would come off my credit file in 2017 so having a dro on my file for 6 years to be honest wouldnt really make that much different for the timescales. 2018

also what happens if i managed to check a job and a dro is revoked? is it still registered on your credit file for 6 years but you have to start paying the debts as well?

i cant find anywhere that gives the details for the application documents to apply for, only these 20 sec tests that all advise me to apply for a dro.

thank you for any advice and help.

Firstly, you need to go to someone for free debt advice, just to make sure there isnt something you have missed, secondly, because if a DRO is right for you then you need an approved intermediary to do it for you, and CCCS, National Debtline and CAB all have DRO intermediaries.

Firstly when you have advice they will check your budget, make sure you have enough to live on, and that your surplus falls under £50. Your assets sound fine, unless you have anything like antiques or a Bang & olufsen TV or something.

Once they've advised you on a DRO you'll need to provide your credit report for them, to check that all your debts are included and they fall under £15k.

Different places will do the DRO slightly differently, but they will need the latest statement for each of your debts, purely for account number details etc, the credit report, and proof of income (benefit award letter is fine), as they are required to check that to do your DRO.

The will complete the form for you, and then you will be given a barcode with which to pay the £90 fee. you will then need to check your latest balances (over the phone) and your form will then be submitted...

I would stop paying any creditors now anyway, and just get on the phone, go online or visit your cab.

I know someone who works in the CCCS DRO team and they can turn a DRO round in about a week or so... CAB's vary from bureau to bureau, i know nothing about how quick NDL can do them...
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello there,

As previously mentioned National Debtline has a team of DRO intermediaries that can set them for our clients. If you would like more general information on how DROs work we've written a useful fact sheet which you can find here:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=37_debt_relief_orders

Best wishes,

NDL.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure