Hope I have done the right thing.

Options
Well came home from work at lunch time and as I came in our front door, a tiny black cat/kitten charged past me and headed straight into our dogs basket much to her disgust. Luckily for the kitten our collie is only 1 year old and a real softie, however she was a bit put out I think:o Fast forward 3 hours, kitten still in house, kept putting it outside but cried pitifully so being me let it back in. Daughter and boyfriend went and knocked on all houses around but no one knew who it belonged to and we hadn't seen it before. Now we live on a very, very busy road and so I phoned cats protection for advice. They were great, came out within 1/2 hour to see if it was chipped. It wasn't :mad: and they found out it was a little un neutered male. They have taken it away as we are going away tomorrow and couldn't really keep it indoors until then. I keep feeling maybe I should have just ignored it and left it outside but I would have felt awful if it had got hit by a car. Hope I did the right thing by it.

Comments

• mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you have done the right thing!

The wee mite is in the hands of people who will look after it and rehome it x
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • candjsmum
    candjsmum Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you. I keep thinking maybe the owners are looking for him, but then again think he shouldn't really have been out anyway, certainly not without any ID or chip. He was so sweet though and certainly made himself at home.:D
  • TrickyNiki
    Options
    I'd have been sorely tempted to keep the little blighter! Sounds like you did all you could and nobody could fault you. At least he will be kept warm and comfortable until someone rehomes him!
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully the owners will call rescue centres and the CPL and will be reunited with him.

Xx
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • candjsmum
    Options
    If we hadn't been going away I probably would have kept him here until he could be reunited with his owner. Mind you not sure what my house would have been like in the morning with a year old pup and kitten. I have put the details onto my local facebook pets lost page so hopefully someone will claim him. He certainly had us entertained all afternoon and even Skye our pup got to like him too I think.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As one little extra thing to do, I would maybe post a description on some lost pet registers online. If you Google "lost and found cats" or similar you should find some. These might be looked at by people outside of the area, unlike the FB group, just incase little kitty has managed to get a bit further than expected (accidentally hitching in the back of a van, stolen and dumped, etc)
  • candjsmum
    Options
    krlyr wrote: »
    As one little extra thing to do, I would maybe post a description on some lost pet registers online. If you Google "lost and found cats" or similar you should find some. These might be looked at by people outside of the area, unlike the FB group, just incase little kitty has managed to get a bit further than expected (accidentally hitching in the back of a van, stolen and dumped, etc)

Thank you. I have just checked on the CPL website for our area and he has been listed on there but I will have a look to see if there is anywhere else. At least I know he is safe for tonight.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have done the right thing, just keep an eye out for 'missing' signs on bus stops, posts and in shop windows. Hope your puppy is covered for fleas.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • candjsmum
    Options
    Yes she is definitely covered for fleas and I have told both kids and hubby to look out for posters etc. I will check with CPL on our return to see if he has been reunited.
    Thanks for all your kind words, I know I did do the right thing, fr his safety if nothing else. :A
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2012 at 1:28PM
    Options
    I had exactly the same situation some years back.., didn't have any pets so kept the kitten. I did post in our local shop that I'd found a kitten and then saw signs on local signposts saying that a family had lost a kitten with a matching description. They came round, it was their kitten so I had to give him back (boo hoo). But I did the right thing, the kitten was safe and well fed (was snow outside, not good for extended trips outside for such a young kitten) and I never saw it again.

BUT I did go to Cat's Protection league and came home with a cat of my own so it all ended well lol. He stayed with me for 18 years believe it or not lol!

But as others have said, u did exactly the right thing. Your situation wasn't ideal to keep a young kitten, but there will be others who will have a good situation for them. Personally, I find cats and dogs usually get on well, even when introduced at an older age (i.e. older dog, kitten, older cat, kitten). I had a lurcher that would go for any cat in the street, but our cat., well she knew who was boss even though the cat was 1/8th of her size lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport