Painting quote

Options
Just had my bungalow fully pastered ready for a full repaint.

I am having the following painted :

All ceilings
All walls
All wood

The rooms:

2 bedrooms, lounge, dining room,bathroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and small wall, hall way, staircases.

A mist coat, two coats of mag on walls two white on ceiling and a gloss or satin on wood... with final prep to be priced.

So far ive received three quote but huge difference...one at 2k, second one at 1300 the last and to good to be true £750 - free prep and just £100 for materials

Any comments ?
Thanks
Matt
Pay One Debt 2012 Challenge #62 Next £10.65/£410

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    Being in an almost identical situation to you and deciding to undertake the work ourselves due more to do with finances than lack of ability...the major thing I would say is if someone thinks they can fully paint a house on £100 worth of paint I'd like to meet them!

every surface in our house now needs painting following plaster and even buying trade magnolia and white and making use of the large tub deals we have found you can never underestimate the amount of paint you will actually need...

Ther have been some walls that are requiring several coats as some plaster patches have spread through...some have been an undercoat and 2 coats but some have required 3 to achieve a good finish,and our woodwork has probably needed 3 coats too especially on the satin areas....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    bearing in mind that a decent brand - eg dulux do a10ltr tub of mag /white emulsion for around £45 , that gives you `£10 for undercoat and gloss and all the other stuff you'll need , so either the person isn't a real painter or you're going to get a very cheap job .
    if the rooms are empty them i would have thought you could do 2 rooms in 3 days give or take - depending on size etc ,
    so if you allow 2.5- 3 days for beds , 3 for lounge / dining room , 2 days for kitchen , hall, and then staircases? you have more than 1? allow 2ish days for each one , gives you around 13ish days -depending on size of rooms/whether there are windows to be done it could be 10 days or 15 if rooms are large £120p/d =£1560 for labour ,
    so i would think the 750 is way too , obviously without seeing the job it's hard to estimate the costs but i would have thought somewhere around £1500- £2k would be near the mark
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    mattblue wrote: »
    the last and to good to be true £750 - free prep and just £100 for materials

Any comments ?
    Yes its far too good to be true. Either you have a cowboy who is going to cut corners, do a bad job and leave you with a pile of carp that needs redoing in 2 - 3 months or a P&D who doesn't know how to price a job. In either case there will be tears.

Site unseen I agree with Nick's window which would tend to suggest that the £ 1,300 guy is probably about correct (no thats not a contradiction because he has seen it).

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • mattblue
    mattblue Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry its just the one staircase :-)....added the s by mistake.

I was thinking that it was far to good to be true, £750 was for cash - cheque payment would of been with 20% vat.

I did see examples of his work and he provided refs but am still not going to entertain the offer of work....As said there would probably be tears !

Had another quote yesterday at £1500 all in so that seems to be right - two lads taking 6/7 days to complete

Cheers

Matt
    Pay One Debt 2012 Challenge #62 Next £10.65/£410
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Purest BS. Its still not legit. A tenner says that extra 20% is going nowhere near the VAT man. It'll be in his pocket.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Purest BS. Its still not legit. A tenner says that extra 20% is going nowhere near the VAT man. It'll be in his pocket.

Cheers

As sure as god made little apples!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • HarriDec
    HarriDec Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on where in the country you live but to be honest the £2k is nearer the mark for redecorating the property you spoke about above, I myself am a decorator and you can see my website if you google my username, I can't post links because I'm a new member!

£100 materials? Nonsense, the cheap contract emulsion used for mist coating new plaster would probably use half of that budget. New plaster is very pouros (which is why you must seal it with a mist coat) and will swallow up loads of emulsion. Then you should probably expect £35-£45 worth of emulsion per room for the top coats to walls and ceilings. Then trim paint? Then fillers? Caulk? Sundries?

Also what the hell is final prep? Preparation before decoration.

Exercise caution!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport