PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chocolate Easter egg gone white

Options
What would you do. DS has been given a Mars Bar easter egg. He's cracked it open tonight and the chocolate has gone all white/yellowish...more than the 'bloom' you sometimes get. It doesn't look nice at all. He ate one of the two mars bars with it yesterday and only said that that was white just now when he opened the main egg. We inspected the other mars bar that came with it and this is also white, though it is just that white 'bloom'.
Would you ask the person who bought it where it came from so it could be exchanged? (the sell by/use by date is july 07)?
I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Do you know which shop its from? I would take it back myself, im sure the shop would have no problem swapping it for you. If you dont know, i would think whoever gave it to you wouldnt mind taking it back, im sure they would rather something they had bought be ok.
  • themmackas
    themmackas Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    sometimes mars bars go white when they have been in the fridge. It might but just that but if you are unsure then im sure the shop would change it for you.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    or call the help line for Mars - the number should be on the egg box somewhere :) Tell them that the egg was a gift and you obviously don't want to upset the giver by telling them the egg was "off" and see if they will send you a replacement or some vouchers instead :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Eat it - its fine. It could be a heat bloom. I lived in Africa for 15 years and our chocolate was often covered in it. (it was stored in the fridge, so that could have some thing to do with it). Chocolate doesn't go off! :)
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    The white stuff is the cocoa butter rising to the surface. It's perfectly edible.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The white stuff is the cocoa butter rising to the surface. It's perfectly edible.

I was just about to say that myself.

They used to have a little caption on the box saying that it might turn white because of it.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • avfcjack
    avfcjack Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    i would just leave it, the person who bought it might be upset if you ask them where it is from
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tine wrote: »
    or call the help line for Mars
    I see, there is, after all, life on Mars.
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    to be honest most stores have probably sold off all their eggs by now, so it wouldn't be any use to take it back. i would contact the manufacturer direct and hopefully they will send out lots more yummy chocs to you:D
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport