Options
    Yes, always room for debate

link to report for those interested
    "Electricity from trees 'dirtier than coal' "
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/328523-electricity-from-trees-dirtier-than-coal
  • jamesingram
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    This does not apply to - for example - newly planted coppiced forests, or any place where new woods are planted at the same rate old ones are cut.
    My take on it , was that really we need to be planting more than cut.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My take on it , was that really we need to be planting more than cut.
    Hi

It's even more complicated than that, the planting of more trees needs to be on a properly managed sustainable basis ....

.... an example ....

About a mile or so from here there is a recent tree plantation where individuals and organisations have 'sponsored' trees to offset personal/business carbon emissions. They have nicely printed professional looking certificates to recognise what they have done which state the carbon savings (potential) and have their names engraved on a large plaque at the main entrance to the planted area ..... result, feel-good factor and not a lot else .... why ?, well, because of the planting density it's likely that much fewer than 1/25 trees will reach, or even be allowed to reach, maturity .... the majority of certificates issued describing a carbon offset measured in tonnes will probably never realise a saving measured in the same number of kilogrammes ....

We buy our logs from sustainably managed ancient woodland a couple of miles away. The sawmill supplies to furniture, building renovation, flooring and timber merchants, but between half and three-quarters of felling by weight is unsuitable and would either be chipped, pulped or processed for firewood. The sawmill buildings are around 150 years old and process wood from the same land that they did when originally built, land which has trees standing which were there when Nelson's navy was being built ... that's what true sustainability means, so I have absolutely no qualms over burning our logs ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • jamesingram
    jamesingram Posts: 301 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2012 at 12:43PM
    Options
    here's an interesting chart. ( if i can upload it :) )

December22012#

nope can't seem to do it.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2012 at 12:04AM
    Options
    skivenov wrote: »
    In the wood burner, yes, because I know it doesn't leak out the door. I'd probably be more reluctant on an open fire.

That said, my granny used to burn all manner of crap on her fire, she'd had one lung her whole adult life and lived to her 80's, so it might not be that dangerous!

My chimney sweep said not to burn any treated wood in my stove as it creates deposits in the chimney which make it less efficient and more likely to catch fire. He was speaking from a safety viewpoint, but I think that even if you're prepared to
    sweep your chimney more that once a year wider enviromental concerns mean that treated or painted wood shouldn't be used as fuel. Similarly I don't burn chipboard or MDF.

I do sometimes buy in compressed sawdust briquettes made locally from waste timber from timber yards and furniture manufature. They are made by hydraulic compression without other materials being added and are a really good heat source.
  • jamesingram
    Options
    I believe it's illegal to burn painted or treat wood or composite board ( mdf,ply,chip ((any using glues)) as it's considered a hazardous waste and should be dealt with according to EU regs..

anyone know how to upload pixs. form google drop box ??
  • jamesingram
    Options
    test test test
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills