We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Unemployment falls to lowest level since spring

Options
"Unemployment fell by 50,000 in the quarter to August, while employment also grew during this period ..."

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    It is good news in comparison to some of the headlines from Europe and very close to home if you look at Ireland.

But can anyone explain what this means
    Self-employment has also increased, up by 35,000 to 4.2 million, while the number of unpaid workers in a family business rose by 2,000 to 112,000.
    What is an unpaid worker in a family business ?
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    globalds wrote: »
    It is good news in comparison to some of the headlines from Europe and very close to home if you look at Ireland.

But can anyone explain what this means

What is an unpaid worker in a family business ?

Some children may live at home and help the family business as part of their keep.

Might be a tax dodge too. (no profit = no wages BUT they take their wages in cash!)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    How many are from the overpriced sports day or part time, zero hour contracts, workfare etc? You can bet that there will be precious few full time contracts in these figures.
    There are lies, damn lies and statistics
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    I have to admit a part of me questions the figures and I think the trend of replacing high paying full time contracts with part time employment is not a good one.

The fact that we are making any kind of headway when the winds are blowing so strongly against us is really good and should be recognised.
    I hasten to add I am not sure what government policies are responsible for this but I am sure The present bunch in power will pat themselves on the back and use this as evidence of how thoughtful and insightful all of their ideas were.
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    Its rise again in Northern Ireland, Its above the UK average in N.I, Wales and Scotland.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many are from the overpriced sports day or part time, zero hour contracts, workfare etc? You can bet that there will be precious few full time contracts in these figures.
    There are lies, damn lies and statistics

And let's not forget these 'figures' are starting from a very low base and many of the public sector cuts have still to be implemented.

I suspect the majority of the 'new jobs' are as suggested, part time or temporary and the figures are still shocking - particular up here in the North East.

And let's not forget the 'financially inactive' who in the majority are over 50 and unable to claim any benefits or get jobs and are living off redundancy payments and pensions who are technically unemployed - but not classed as such where statistics are concerned.

Cameron should not take any satisfaction in these doctored figures when so many young people are out of work.

Just like the retail price index, employment statistics can be manipulated to paint a rosy picture - although the current 'government' are not the only ones guilty of this.

Government borrowing is still on the increase, regulators are unable or unwilling to stifle the banks, energy suppliers and oil companies and while the cost of living goes up - wages are going down.

Hardly cause to get the Lambrini out!
  • rickbonar.
    Options
    What is needed is a real assessment by an independent source of the true figures of part time, full time, temporary, out of work, sick, etc. Not statistics that doctor the real figures and make it look as if all's well when it isn't.

Part time and full time.. what is the definition ... I know it's been changed?
  • rickbonar.
    Options
    I forgot to add .. I've heard of some people doing 3 or 4 part time jobs to get enough to live on.

Now is that classed as 4 jobs filled and 4 off the unemployment register or 1 person off the employment register or both?

A politician would answer yes.

Maybe someone else here can make sense of this?
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    rickbonar. wrote: »
    I forgot to add .. I've heard of some people doing 3 or 4 part time jobs to get enough to live on.

Now is that classed as 4 jobs filled and 4 off the unemployment register or 1 person off the employment register or both?

A politician would answer yes.

Maybe someone else here can make sense of this?
    Its one person NOT on benefits. Not 4 people in work as they only tell you the number of people who are NOT in work not those who are working.
  • WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst not ideal, being part time is still better than being unemployed and should be a good springboard to get a full time job in the future. At least they're still in the habit of working and keeping up to date in the workplace. It would be far harder to get back into work after months or years of unemployment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure