Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Google Grants for Non-Profits - Anyone Used Them?

HiMyNameIsLauren
HiMyNameIsLauren Posts: 68 Forumite
edited 16 October 2012 at 10:50AM in Charities
Recently found that Google give away grants to charities and other non-profits to use on Google Adwords to a sum of $10,000 (£6,216) per month!

For those that don't know what Google Adwords is, it's basically the 'pay-per-click' campaigns that are shown on Google.co.uk (as one example) when you search for ANYTHING. An example of this is when you Google "car insurance" - you'll see 1, 2 or 3 ads at the top and to the right that have a pale orange background - these search results, companies pay for via Google Adowrds and pay anything from a few pence to an incredible £15+ per click (depending on the market and ppc competition for a particular keyword).

So, what I'd like to know is - is anyone here connected with a charity and have you applied for and been successful with gaining a Google Grant? I don't have any previous experience, so I don't want to point anything out to the charity I do work for, if the general vibe is bad, or bad experience by those that have used this service.

Reference: http://www.google.co.uk/grants/
My son is now an ‘entrepreneur’. That’s what you’re called when you don’t have a job. – Ted Turner

Comments

• oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    We have used Adwords funded by Google Grants for years. Once it is setup it works the same as any Adwords account. There is a limit but we have never hit it. Try searching for 'tools Africa' or 'recycle tools' for a sample of our Adwords.
  • gamma
    gamma Posts: 763 Forumite
    We've used Google Grants for our charity for a good while and actually hit the Pro limit - it certainly makes a big difference if the account is managed well. I would probably recommend outsourcing the management thereof if you really want to make the most of the grant.

Let me know if you want details of who we use.
  • I have loads of clients who use Google Grants to market their services. It's a really good initiative done by google as charities now need all the help they can get. I Wonder if Bing and Yahoo have started doing the same doing the same thing.
  • Thanks for all the feedback, sounding very positive!
    My son is now an ‘entrepreneur’. That’s what you’re called when you don’t have a job. – Ted Turner
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure