We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Laptop Recommendations

We have just got rid of the desktop computer from our sons bedroom and decided on a laptop for part of their xmas present.

I would be really grateful for some recommendations for suitable laptops for no more than £400 (pref less). They are aged 11 and want to play minecraft on it and poss other games. I am happy with 15.6" screen but OH seems to think 17" screen would be better for homework etc but I am open to suggestions. Also would like HDMI connection on it for linking to TV.

I would like something fairly upto date so we are not looking at replacing it in 6 months as it won't play a game they have just discovered:D. Also happy with refurbs/amazon warehouse deals.

I have had great advice from here in the past so thought I would pick your brains.

Many Thanks

xxxx

Comments

  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Keep your eye out for this deal to come up again.
  • Thanks for that, how often does that model come available?

    xxx
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    If you track back on the sub £350 laptop thread, you should get some idea.
    They actually have a Packard Bell(now owned by ACER) version of the same machine for £300, but I would go for the ACER version and the extended wattanty.
  • Hi NiftyDigits

    You recommended a laptop recently for my 10 and 11 yr old sons. I mentioned they played minecraft, fifa 13 etc and wanted something that was fairly decent for their needs. You recommended the the Acer Aspire gaming laptop for £319 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-5560G-AMD-Quad-Core-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-/320990412970
    on the dabs ebay along with the 3yr warranty and I think it has come back in stock. I also noticed this on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...!hotukdeals-21

    I wonder whether you can give me some advice on which would be more suitable. I also have lots of Amazon vouchers saved up so it would be good to use these up but ultimately I would like them to have something more suitable for their needs.

    Many thanks once again for your help

    xxx
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2012 at 5:00PM
    Samsung 305E7A
    • AMD A6-3420M Quad Core Processor
    • 17.3" Screen
    • 6GB DDR3 RAM
    • 750GB HDD
    • DVD Rewriter
    • Dedicated HD 6470M
    Acre 5755G
    • Intel® Core™ i3-2350M Dual Core Processor
    • 15.6" HD Screen
    • 4GB DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB HDD
    • DVD Rewriter
    • Dedicated GT630m GPU
    Acer is faster than Samsung. But it is only 15.6"
    Both with dedicated GPU, just in case your son want to play some other games.
  • Thanks very much for your help.

    The Samsung 305E7A looks really nice and I think the bigger screen might be more suitable for their games and also homework in place of their old desktop. I have also just checked Amazon and although it is £8 more expensive I have vouchers saved up for xmas so I could use those.

    Is there much difference between the Samsung 305E7A and this one that was mentioned earlier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-5560G-AMD-Quad-Core-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-/320990412970 (other than screen size), it is a little cheaper and I was quite tempted by the 3 yr warranty from Acer.

    Thanks everybody once again for your help, I would hate to get the boys something that is useless for what they need it for:).

    xxx
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Thanks very much for your help.

    The Samsung 305E7A looks really nice and I think the bigger screen might be more suitable for their games and also homework in place of their old desktop. I have also just checked Amazon and although it is £8 more expensive I have vouchers saved up for xmas so I could use those.

    Is there much difference between the Samsung 305E7A and this one that was mentioned earlier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-5560G-AMD-Quad-Core-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-/320990412970 (other than screen size), it is a little cheaper and I was quite tempted by the 3 yr warranty from Acer.

    Thanks everybody once again for your help, I would hate to get the boys something that is useless for what they need it for:).

    xxx

    The ACER is not in stock. They only have the Packard Bell version.
    So I would wait, or look at one of Cisco's recommendations.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.