We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Advice needed re virus protection, where do I stand?
Comments
-
i would be asking your BS what software have they downloaded onto your PC that detected these viruses - it's your PC, you have a right to know this. In relation to Mcafee, when you perfomed the manual scan, did you check the box next to the option 'Scan inside archives (e.g zips)'. What is the Virus Scan Engine version, Dat Verson and Dat Version Created On (will be a date) ??"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0
-
I very much doubt it was your BS that called you out of the blue tbh0
-
I don't think McAfee are at fault here, some kind of scam was being run on you, banks don't scan for viruses when you log on to internet banking. Sounds to me like someone was trying to hijack your account and didn't pass the verifactions because they were missing one or two of the crucial piecies of info, hence the account being locked out. I hope you didn't give them this info or pay to have the so called viruses removed.0
-
Even if the bank/BS locked the OP out of online banking because their system detected virus concerns, I've never heard of a bank knowing how many viruses a customer had.
When Natwest locked me out for the same reason (free virus checker from university missed something), they didn't know exactly what the cause was. Plus I called them, not them me, when I realised I'd been locked out.0 -
mrswilliams29 wrote: »
In answer to some of the points, I was sure it was my bank (well building society) as I used to work for them so know the drill,
The Scammers would also have done their homework and know the drill.I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.0 -
One other thing. You say AVG Free found the viruses on it's initial scan. Were they definitely viruses or were they rootkits.
Reason I ask is that I have ran AVG Free for many years without any issues, so when it recently declared it had discovered several rootkits on my system (following an AV database update) I let it take care of them. BIG MISTAKE. AVG ripped the heart out of my firewall software that had been running happily for many years.
Luckily I still had the firewall software install files so I could re-install (and I've now taught the AVG software the error of it's ways) but don't always believe it when it tells you you have a problem.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards