PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lidls Bratwurst

Options
Hi

I have some Lidls bratwurst (the double pack ones), firstly how do you cook it and secondly will it freeze ok?

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• happyathome_withmyboys
    Options
    Are they the little teeny weeny ones?
    I just bung them in the oven if it is on, or fry them - they only take about 5 minutes fried, 10 baked - and I can't see a problem freezing them either before or after cooking - but they never last that long in my house!
    Is it home time yet?
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lidl also have very large bags of ready frozen Bratwurst in the freezer section which work out cheaper and just as good !

shammy
  • finallydebtfree!!
    Options
    we always freeze ours, to cook them we just grill them and pop them in crusty rolls yummy!
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
  • elljay20
    elljay20 Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what the hell is bratwurst?!!!!!!!
    :p It is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    elljay20 wrote: »

Really really yummy German Sausage.
  • elljay20
    elljay20 Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    Really really yummy German Sausage.

is it spicy? oh might like it but we've never had it! what do you do with it? sorry to be ignorant!
    what does it taste like?
    :p It is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    is it spicy? oh might like it but we've never had it! what do you do with it? sorry to be ignorant!
    what does it taste like?

They're not hot spicy, they just have a "German" taste, IYSWIM. The taste is hard to describe, probably something like much meatier and nicer hot dogs.

I just grill/fry them and serve them with chips/pasta/mash like I would other sausages.

They're definitely worth trying. Go for the thick meaty ones, not the little ones like the OP's.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brat = to fry, wurst = sausage. They can come in different sizes, LIDL sells the large one (about 4" long, 1" diameter), as well as the small Nuremberg ones. The latter ones are spicy, but very subtle, herbs not chilli peppers.

You just fry them with a little oil in a pan ((or grill, or barbeque). The large ones need about fifteen minutes, the small ones maybe five.

The difference between English sausages, the German ones are 100% meat.
  • erksome
    erksome Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I love these Bratwurst by they allways tend to have tough skins, I have tried oven and frying pan but always turn out with tough skins
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing