We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Deleting content and resetting desktop pc to factory settings

I have an old desktop pc that I never use and want to get rid of. Before I do, I want to erase all of my old files and reset the pc to it's original settings - but I don't know how to do that! Can anyone help?
.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:• Scottish & proud of it! .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•
«1

Comments

  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2012 at 6:03PM
    See the manual about factory restore, there is no "one answer" that works on all brands

    install ccleaner, and tick the wipe free space option and run it after the factory restore.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Thanks for you reply :) however, I don't have the manual for it anymore - the computer's about 10 yes old and I've moved house a few times so it's long gone. I also can't install anything as I don't have an Ethernet cable and it doesn't have wifi capability.

    By any chance is there not just a way to delete it all without needing to go online on it?
    .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:• Scottish & proud of it! .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep the drive, and get rid of the rest of the PC. Use the drive as backup or extra storage.

    The best way to secure your data is to keep it.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,363
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Get DBAN (Boot and Nuke) to securely wipe the drive.

    Better still, take the drive out and destroy it, if you take it apart then the rare earth magnets inside are quite cool to play with (or useful as they are far more powerful then normal magnets)
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    manuals are often available online.

    Knowing the brand, model, and operating system, and whether you have the reinstall disc would be useful to know

    Transfer ccleaner from the machine you are using to post, using usb key or phone, routers usually come with ethernet cables.

    Didn't take long for the nuke it answers to arrive.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Thanks for all the replies - I don't want to get rid of the hard drive as the computer is going to the local scout hut to be used. It's still in good working order - I just don't use it. I simply need to reset it to delete all my old files, pics and music before it goes down there.

    The os is xp, the brand is Qtech but I'm not sure about the model. I have a product recovery disc and a VIA & SIS Installation Driver disc. Will any of this help me?
    .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:• Scottish & proud of it! .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,363
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nothing wrong with nuking it, as for destroying it the cost of a drive is stupidly cheap these days.

    We drill and guillotine our drives every time, no exception. Even if its under warranty.

    In the OP's case a simple zero's write across the entire drive would suffice, DBAN is an easy tool to use to achieve this (and has the added advantage you can go for more secure wipes (although chances of retrieval after a simple zeros pass is minimal))
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2012 at 6:29PM
    The question wasn't how to nuke it, or take it apart, or remove it, or drill it, or thermite it, and obviously there is little point spending money on something about to be disposed of.

    If it doesn't have a factory restore partition, Boot from product recovery disc (you may have to hold F12 down or go into bios to change the boot order, if the machine doesn't boot from the cd automatically), reinstall windows, ccleaner wipe free space.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Sorry, I'm not much of a techie - what's a zero's write?
    .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:• Scottish & proud of it! .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,363
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Essentially the last part of what closed suggests (ie a ccleaner wipe free space)

    TBF we didnt know it was going to a scout hut until later in the post, re-selling hardware on ebay etc you dont know who or what level of expertise the buyer has.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.