Executor *UPDATE* #19

redwineguzzler
redwineguzzler Posts: 501 Forumite
edited 7 November 2012 at 7:49PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Hi all,
I am named as the executor on my fathers will, and my sister is really p***ed at this news, (she has not spoke to him for 20yrs) she is saying there needs to be 2 executors and is going to a solicitor, I have told her there only needs to be 1 executor, who's right here........

Thankyou

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are.

She's wrong.

Though it might be sensible for him to name two, just in case one walks under a bus.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • daska wrote: »
    You are.

She's wrong.

Though it might be sensible for him to name two, just in case one walks under a bus.

Thank you Daska, lets hope I don't walk under the bus on the way to work tomoz then! :laugh:
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It can definitely be done with one Executor as I have sadly just had to handle my mum's estate.

There were times when I could have done with a co-Executor to take on some of the stress/act as a sounding board, but not if the only option was someone likely to be difficult, as it sounds like this sister would be if she is acting like this already.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Let her waste her money on the solicitor and enjoy!
  • It is your father's will, therefore it is up to him whom he chooses to act as Executor for him.

Your sister cannot force him to change his will.

It always amazes me that someone with the energy to be that angry about something (usually involving family money) doesn't bother to do a brief bit of fact finding, say via the Internet, before they make a lot of fuss and bother, and stir up trouble that won't ever be fully rectified.

Perhaps she should have somehow found the way to repair her relationship with him over the past 20 years if she feels she should be involved in handling his affairs after his death?
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bossyboots wrote: »
    It can definitely be done with one Executor as I have sadly just had to handle my mum's estate.

There were times when I could have done with a co-Executor to take on some of the stress/act as a sounding board...

It is a stressful role so it amazes me anyone would want to be named as one! I did it for my mum's estate, but wouldn't volunteer for the role.

OP - when the time comes make sure you keep records of every single thing you do. I can see your sister you accusing of all sorts otherwise.
  • Hi OP, difficult situation
    Just wondering how she came to know about the will ... is she taking an interest in it already?
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • I have 3 sisters (spread far & wide) which is why he asked me to be the executor & I agreed, and one of the other sisters told her that our father had died and she knew he had a will, so now she wants to poke her nose in, thinking there maybe something to get out of it....

I have arranged the funeral to dad's wishes and text the other sisters to let them know where, what time etc, and about an hour later I had a call from the funeral directors saying sister had been in touch with them demanding to know if they knew that I was the sole executor, if not she would get an injunction and would then be able to overide the arrangements I had made, so I took the will to them and then they phoned my sister to tell her, apparently she wasn't a happy bunny!

I can only imagine she feels guilty perhaps at not seeing him and is acting up.... I really don't know????

Dad has no assets, he lived in a council sheltered housing for the elderly, housing benefit etc.

I have had no offers at all to help to empty his flat from any of the three sisters. I'm trying to be as accommodating as possible & have even arranged with the warden for the others to go to the flat to see if there's any personal bits & pieces they might like, but something tells me they won't bother.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oops, sorry, I read your OP as your dad being in the middle of writing his Will, not you executing it. Many commiserations on your loss and I hope she's feeling suitably abashed.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • troubleinparadise
    troubleinparadise Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2012 at 12:40AM
    Dear RWG

I'm sorry, I too hadn't realised your father had died, my condolences to you on your loss.

I'm also sorry that your sister feels the need to cause trouble at this time despite her lack of active relationship with your father. Sadly families can behave quite dreadfully at these times. I suspect you may well be right about the guilt - but all rather histrionic, and not really acting with your father's best interests at the centre of her actions. Best of luck with sorting things out - I hope you don't have a rough ride of it. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure