We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I need a new Microwave and advice

Hi Everyone,
My old microwave (Sharp Convection Double Grill R872) is 12 years old and beginning to give up.
I am now looking for a new one but there were some features on the old that I liked and would like to have again but without actually buying a new one to find out what it does and doesn't do, I am stuck as I cannot find enough information on the models available now.

I like the Panasonic range and in particular the NN-CT562MBPQ as this is a Silver Finish Slimline Comination Oven with a Grill but I have seen on a website that among the accessories there is an enamel tray as well as a glass one. My concern is with the enamel tray - my Sharp R872 had an enamel tray and only this (not a glass one as well) Does this mean that if I wanted to cook something both microwaved and grilled (i.e. crisping a Jacket Potato) I would have to put it on the glass tray to cook the potato and then put in the enamel tray to crisp the top of the potato. Why can't I just have the enamel tray in all the time for both microwaving and grilling (as my Sharp could do) It may be possible but I can't find the info that says you can. The Panasonic helpline said that the enamel tray is for the oven part and grilling!

Another thing I would like is a short cut/menu button on the front to be able to program cooking the potato directly instead of having to go through lots of different menus.

I would also like the microwave to be able to 'quick start' so that I don't always have to press the power level and then the time before pressing the start. With the Sharp R872 I was able to just press 'Start' and it would turn on automatically and countdown from a minute (if I pressed 'start' again another minute would be added and so on)

These may not seem too important to some people but when you have had these facilities and not to get them again just for the lack of research and a few questions here would be a shame.

Comments

  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Basically can't answer your questions off hand. but most electrical stuff (unless obscure shop only brands etc usually) have manuals online, so in your search, you could easily find one to check such things.
    Thus saying that, panasonics site doesn't have a manual for the CT562MBPQ! Most shops will let you check the manual if you ask too. Your best bet is to contact panasonic themselves and ask them this question, if you don't want to root in a shop for a manual.

    Most have quickstart (haven't had a micro/combo that hasn't in a long time) but usually only quickstart on micro, not oven/grill. They often differ though, in times. My parents does 10 seconds till 1 min, then 30 seconds after that. Mine just does 30 seconds.
    Same as programs, but individual programming would need to be checked via a manual.
  • Thanks for the reply. I did try to look for the manual which I couldn't find so I phoned the Panasonic Helpline and spoke to someone from a call centre. The person was helpful but didn't really understand what I was asking (I think there was a language barrier). He didn't know about the quick start function but said that I needed the glass plate for the microwave and the enamel plate for the grill and oven part (that is where I am a bit unsure because my existing microwave has just one enamel plate which can be used for everything)

    I'm glad you say that most micro/combis nowadays may have a quick start - I'm going to ask some collegues at work to see if they have the same to get a rough idea on how many.

    I don't have any other experience with microwaves other than one in my work kitchen area which is just a microwave (Panasonic) and with that you have to set the power level before you can set the reqired time and only then can you press start.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.