Do you ask for feedback on applications where you were not shortlisted?

Options
Hi all,

I recently applied for a job with a large organisation. As the interview date came and went I obviously knew I hadn't been shortlisted but rang the organisation to see if they would be able to provide me with some feedback. The intention was that I'd use this to improve my next application in order to hopefully start getting to the interview stage.

I was very polite, and understood they were probably busy but the response I was met with baffled me somewhat. They genuinely didn't know what to do and were very frosty - it was like I was speaking Martian. They asked why I wanted the feedback, and I explained it was to improve future applications, and then they said they didn't understand what I wanted to know and why I was asking.

So my question is, when job-seeking do you seek feedback on applications where you were not short-listed or only those where you were unsuccessful at interview? If the latter, do you just assume that you did nothing in particular 'wrong' and there were just people who were a better fit than you applying for the position (going to be an issue obviously at the moment with the vast amounts of people applying due to the financial climate)?

Comments

• MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    I follow up all emails I get telling me I have not made the short list with a very polite email asking if they have the time would it be possible to obtain some feedback on my application. I only email them once and if they don't reply, move on.

Yes of course it's good to find out what you didn't have or did wrong to improve but calling someone and putting them on the spot was not the best thing to do. They have to come up with something on the spot.

Maybe they never even read your application or a number of reasons.
  • VConfused
    Options
    Thanks, that's interesting to know :)

In fairness, I rang their HR department to ask for the best process to get feedback. They put me straight through to the recruiting manager. I did ask if I could leave my email address or telephone number for them to feed back to me when and if they had the time.

I thought that maybe despite me telling them why I wanted feedback and being really polite and friendly, they may have thought I was disgruntled. I'm really not, I just want to improve :)
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    I followed up on a recent application and was given a standard response of 'poor grammar on the form' which i knew was BS because i still had the form and checked to find it all in order. I thanked her for her reply but said i couldnt accept the reason. A while later i got another from someone else that really went in to detail where i'd gone wrong on my application.

It was very helpful for the future and i think it does help to follow up, even if you're talking to complete idiots which seems to be the case in the OP.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the other point of view.... for every role I recruit for I probably receive in the region of 10-15 CVs (we use agencies and so dont get the 100+ that I've had before when doing direct advertising)

The reason we are recruiting has always been because we are short staffed and so I and everyone else is having to back fill - I've never been fortunate enough to be looking to replace someone who's given their notice.

My approach is to review the CVs fairly quickly and mark them as yes, no or maybe. The yeses all get called to interview and if that isnt enough people then I get a colleague to review the maybes and between us rank them and go down the list until we have enough people (generally 2-3 to interview for each vacancy).

For those we reject (7-8 per role) I simply dont have time to write up a reason that will pass HR review to go back to the agency. The other problem I've found in the past when I have given feedback is that you then get half of them coming back again challenging my decision but I can count on one hand how many of those made me even think to reconsider my opinion. All of this takes up my time which I cannot spare even if I do appreciate why they're asking.

Add to that there is a fair number where the true reasons for rejecting the candidate will never pass HR - eg I know they have lied on their CV (namely because they've claimed they did something at one of my former clients/ employers and I know they havent) or they learnt their skills in a company that I know doesnt follow due process and I dont want to take on board someone who I basically have to totally retrain when there enough other candidates to provide people that can do the job on day 1 (obviously you cannot bad mouth a competitor/ another company)

For those that are interviewed all get proper feedback if they are unsuccessful.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    Our first stage is an apply in writing only.
    This means anyone who is truly interested in working for us has taken the trouble to post a letter and maybe a CV.
    We then work on the basis of experience or other work related experiences close to job requirement.
    We also look at periods of employment, someone who has been out of work for 2 years but worked for a long period with an employer who closed down is always a good sign.
    Lots of jobs of 2 months here and one month there ( not temping) start alarm bells ringing.
    The covering letter is almost as important as the CV.. we like human beings not the standard , good people skills ..I work well in difficult situations .. blah blah blah .
    We want to get to know a bit about you before we meet you.
    Yes we will always give feedback if asked , especially to people who apply to an ad for 30 plus hours a week , when they want 16 to 20 or people who miss the closing date by a week.
    Age does not come into it.
    I really hate the ageist attitude that makes some employers dismiss anyone over 50 , they are the loosers in the end.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I last recruited a couple of months ago - 325 applicants meant a weekend to long list, three hours to shortlist with the other person on the panel and a whole day out for interview. In the background, I also have to do my job and cover.

It takes a lot after all that for me to be able to answer on the spot when a random person rings in, particularly as they are all annoymised until the interview.

The main issues are spellings, poor grammer or writing style and statements without any evidence to illustrate or prove it.

Ask for feedback, but make sure you seem liek the sort of person who will hear it and not spend 30mins arguing about why the recruiter is wrong.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • thomas22
    thomas22 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I will definitely contact the organisations by email or call if I didn't get shortlisted but only few organisations give me the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure