NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Black slate tiles always look dusty

Replies

• floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    We have natural slate tiles on our bathroom floor, and in over 12 months have never noticed this. We sealed them before they were laid, and then sealed them again afterwards - maybe the 2 coats is what did the trick.
  • Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On my tiles in the bathroom I had the same problem. I used a product that is called magic eraser, or something like that- can't remember the name exactly but I got it from Lakeland. It is a solid white sponge, you rub it on- time consuming!- but it really worked.

They sell something exactly like that in the Poundshop...can't remember how much it is though :rotfl:
    Normal people worry me.
  • Sorry for the late update, I decided to try Lithofin slate seal and this had done the trick. All the tiles look clean and whats more are very easy to keep clean. I bought it from ebay in the end as it was cheaper than Topps. Thanks Guys for all your interest
  • tpttpt Forumite
    312 Posts
    Glad it worked well for you, its very good stuff
  • Thanks for posting back! I wish more people would do this, as others read the thread looking for advice - and as very few post back they are left wondering 'Well what worked then'?
  • lushplus4 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late update, I decided to try Lithofin slate seal and this had done the trick. All the tiles look clean and whats more are very easy to keep clean. I bought it from ebay in the end as it was cheaper than Topps. Thanks Guys for all your interest

That's what we sealed ours with :)
  • TimBearTimBear Forumite
    808 Posts
    Does anyone have any advice on the best product to clean a slate floor with? Please note, it needs a real deep clean (hands and knees, scurbbing job, not just a sweep and mop!). I'm really wary of damaging the floor as it's not sealed with any sort of varnish.

I don't mind buying something new, but funds are low so any products would need to be budget conscious!
  • Anyone, please?
  • I would ask jeeves?
    This will not help but I have just gone round the grouting tiles of the bath, where the shower is, with neat bleach and an old toothbrush. It has helped and the bathroom smells clean :)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is this the deep groved slate?

There is a slate cleaner you can buy but it's a flaff because first you have got to scrub the dirt off then go over with the cleaner and leave it to dry

I gave up when the bottle ran out. Got it from B&Q. Can't mind the name of it

In the end I used either flash or stardrops and a deck brush with a mop after to mop up the muck

Then I ripped it all out and got easy clean porcelain :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals