Black slate tiles always look dusty

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
28 replies 71.4K views

Replies

• floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have natural slate tiles on our bathroom floor, and in over 12 months have never noticed this. We sealed them before they were laid, and then sealed them again afterwards - maybe the 2 coats is what did the trick.
  • Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    On my tiles in the bathroom I had the same problem. I used a product that is called magic eraser, or something like that- can't remember the name exactly but I got it from Lakeland. It is a solid white sponge, you rub it on- time consuming!- but it really worked.

They sell something exactly like that in the Poundshop...can't remember how much it is though :rotfl:
    Normal people worry me.
  • lushplus4lushplus4 Forumite
    287 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the late update, I decided to try Lithofin slate seal and this had done the trick. All the tiles look clean and whats more are very easy to keep clean. I bought it from ebay in the end as it was cheaper than Topps. Thanks Guys for all your interest
  • tpttpt Forumite
    312 Posts
    Glad it worked well for you, its very good stuff
  • meritatenmeritaten
    24.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting back! I wish more people would do this, as others read the thread looking for advice - and as very few post back they are left wondering 'Well what worked then'?
  • floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lushplus4 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late update, I decided to try Lithofin slate seal and this had done the trick. All the tiles look clean and whats more are very easy to keep clean. I bought it from ebay in the end as it was cheaper than Topps. Thanks Guys for all your interest

That's what we sealed ours with :)
  • TimBearTimBear Forumite
    808 Posts
    Does anyone have any advice on the best product to clean a slate floor with? Please note, it needs a real deep clean (hands and knees, scurbbing job, not just a sweep and mop!). I'm really wary of damaging the floor as it's not sealed with any sort of varnish.

I don't mind buying something new, but funds are low so any products would need to be budget conscious!
  • Anyone, please?
  • good_advicegood_advice Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would ask jeeves?
    This will not help but I have just gone round the grouting tiles of the bath, where the shower is, with neat bleach and an old toothbrush. It has helped and the bathroom smells clean :)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the deep groved slate?

There is a slate cleaner you can buy but it's a flaff because first you have got to scrub the dirt off then go over with the cleaner and leave it to dry

I gave up when the bottle ran out. Got it from B&Q. Can't mind the name of it

In the end I used either flash or stardrops and a deck brush with a mop after to mop up the muck

Then I ripped it all out and got easy clean porcelain :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides