We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What laptop cooler to buy

I've decided to buy a laptop cooler. I know that reviews are mixed about whether they work or not but I'm going to try it to see if it helps my laptop keep cool. (i've cleaned the fan out).
I'm not sure if I can buy a notebook cooler or a laptop cooler - they might be the same thing.
I've got a laptop - its a Toshiba A210 model PSAFHE-00800PEN.
TIA.

Comments

  • 117John117
    117John117 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2012 at 1:20PM
    Here You have a passive alternative cooler (no noise) .amazon.com/ThermaPAK-HS15A-HeatShift-Laptop-Laptops/dp/B001CBFTFM/ref=pd_sim_e_1

    And here You have a fan alternative ;) .amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Cooling-R9-NBC-4WAK-GP/dp/B002MU1ZRS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349266564&sr=1-1&keywords=cooling+pad

    Sorry for cut up url's, i'm new and i can't post full links ;)
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,369 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have no idea which is best, but do you want cooling pad or those with fans?
  • zulugula
    zulugula Posts: 12 Forumite
    Get Zalman's cooler pad.

    I strongly recommend them. You have 15.4' laptop so it will cost around £40..it is a lot as for cooler pad but this is worth indeed.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2012 at 5:48PM
    Unless you are playing 3D games continually or blocking up vents/resticting airflow, laptops shouldn't get hot and shouldn't need coolers.

    Assuming the fan is coming on, try it without the battery in, if it's still got the original in, lift it away from the desk if it has vents underneath, and if the cpu is getting hammered, look what is running in task manager.

    Which cpu and graphics card has it got, what are you doing when it gets hot, how hot is hot.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thnx everyone. I didn't realise there was a difference between a laptop cooler and a fan thing. It cuts out when it gets too hot. I've put a new battery in it, I've cleaned all the fans. We leave it hanging over the edge of the table as the vent is on a corner. That's not safe so we need something to lift it off the table and cool it so I'm going to try a laptop fan thing.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 5,045 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Get one with two fans rather than one central one. Much better cooling ability. I'll have a look...
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2012 at 11:53AM
    I've decided to buy a laptop cooler. I know that reviews are mixed about whether they work or not but I'm going to try it to see if it helps my laptop keep cool. (i've cleaned the fan out).
    I'm not sure if I can buy a notebook cooler or a laptop cooler - they might be the same thing.
    I've got a laptop - its a Toshiba A210 model PSAFHE-00800PEN.
    TIA.

    Completely pointless and a waste of money. As long as the heatsink is cleared out and the fan is working then all is OK.

    Remember, silicon components don't experience damage until they go above 70 degrees and even though your laptop base may feel hot to touch, it is nowhere near 70 degrees in there.
    It cuts out when it gets too hot. I've put a new battery in it, I've cleaned all the fans
    So you haven't cleaned it out properly. To test whether you have do the following:

    1) Get a torch and shine it through the fan intake on the base of the laptop.
    2) Whilst doing that, look through the vent on the side of the laptop. If you cannot see light through the whole of the vent from top to bottom and left to right or can only see through it partially, then it is blocked.

    When we say the fan is blocked, we don't mean the fan itself rather the gap between it and the heatsink radiator.
    blocked-heatsink3.jpg

    As you can see in the above picture, the fan is clear but the heatsink is blocked up so no air the fan is moving can go over the heatsink and therefore no cooling occurs.

    On most laptops, you need to take the bottom off and the fan out to clean it properly.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The above, while generally true, isn't exclusively so. My Z61m Thinkpad has had overheating 'issues' from new (and yes it has been back to IBM/Lenovo).

    Some laptops are poorly designed (the Z61 is an example, IMNSHO) and a laptop cooler can be of use if you've sunk a pile of money into a machine that overheats and don't feel like replacing it.

    It's a minority case, I admit, but there are always exceptions.
  • If you are using your laptop on a 5hour or so basis (daily), I suggest that you remove your battery (this kind of practice can practically save your laptop battery and the battery will or can even last longer than expected) laptop batteries should not be charged too often. As for the fan, I suggest that you get 1 with 2 or 3 fans in it like this one:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CRYSTAL-Fans-Cooler-Laptop-Notebook/dp/B003LLADCA/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

    It's always good to keep you laptop well ventilated on the inside to prevent over heating.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i brought one from poundland is really good
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.