Diary of a "Frugal Saver"

Options

Comments

• Frugal_Saver
    Options
    I only went shopping on Saturday and already I have a list of things to buy to get us through the week. Fortunately these are only small items and should come under the £10.00 budget I've allowed. I only have £20 to last until payday anyway and OH has lost his bank card so can't spend any more than that at the moment. I just hope OH agrees to the meals I have planned this week.

This morning I've played around with a snowball calculator, if I make just minimum payment on my loan it will take me until June 2017 to pay off, if I make a £50 over payment every month this will be paid of June 2016, giving me 6 months to pay off the credit card before I turn 30. This is really scary, need to think of more ways to make money, can't rely on overpaying for the last few months of the year as last year my commission dropped November and December.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £3,250 (29/12/20)
    Current savings £4,950 (29/12/20)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    hi FS :)

Have you looked at the 'Up your Income' board, there are loads of ideas on how to increase your income so that you could overpay your loan/CC. I generally just either do overtime at work or sell things that we no longer need.
    My teenager wanted to sell his DSi as he no longer needs/wants it (he has a laptop, xbox and tablet already) so managed to make £100 for himself this weekend!

How is your OH doing with the frugality?
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Every day this week I've struggled to get up in the morning, yet the one day I can have a lie in (today) I was wide awake at ten past 6 and. Couldn't stay in bed as I have a cold and I keep coughing.

Thanks for the suggestions WantsToBeSe, will have a look. Overtime isn't an option at work and I've sold everything I can think of on ebay.

OH is still not coming around to my way of thinking, he loses patience with me if I even mention something about being careful with money. He has the mentality of living for today and not worrying about the future. All the time we can still pay the bills I'm not going to worry about it too much.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi FS :)

I know the feeling re the early mornings! When i need to get up for work i struggle to get up at 7am, yet this weekend i have been awake at 5.30am-6.30am both days!!
    I have been really poorly with a cough, cold and fever, but am feeling much better now, thankfully!
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Sounds like you've had the same thing as me! Glad to hear you're feeling better, think I'm over the worst of it too.

I have been productive this morning, applied for a new job, similar pay to what I'm on now but less hours (i.e. not working Saturdays!). Took a break for a while looking for jobs but want to get back on it as I would love to get my Saturdays back.

Now I really need to get off the computer, today I plan to do the following:
    • NSD today, have got into the habit of not leaving the house at all on a Sunday so impossible to spend money!
    • Usual Sunday Housework chores
    • More online surveys later
    • Clean fridge
    • OH cooking dinner again
    • Start putting together things to take on holiday next week
    • Make a shopping list of everything a couldn't get at Sainsbury's last night, the shelves were empty
    • Heating staying off, OH has acquired enough wood to last us the winter for nothing, it was going in a skip (he's been very MSE and he doesn't even know it! :rotfl:)
    • Look into converting Tesco vouchers, Tesco's have kindly reminded me that some of the vouchers expire next month so I need to do something with them
    • Spend a bit of time listing ideas for Christmas presents
    That's it for now, as usual will probably think of more things once I've posted this!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Yet another productive Sunday!

Haven't left the house so I've had a NSD.

I've done the housework and cleaned the fridge, I think it was some cheese that was making it smell!

Haven't been able to do any surveys as Oh has been on the laptop all afternoon, not really bothered as I spent some time on them this morning and I haven't received any emails any way.

Have spent some time plotting and planning Christmas presents, I'm really looking forward to making them in November. I'm so glad none of my family are on Pinterest or they would know what I'm up to!

Haven't done anything else but I think that's plenty for my one day off! Not sure what I'm looking forward to the most payday tomorrow or my holiday next week!!!

Tomorrow evening will be spent moving money around and setting budgets for the month.

The countdown begins for the holiday: 4 and a half days to go and then a whole week (including two consecutive Saturdays :D)
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Yay, I've been paid and it's the most commission I've earned this year. Couldn't have happened at a better time, this was going to be a difficult month but I can sleep a bit easier tonight. Already started moving money around.

This is the first month of the Lloyds TSB separation and it's already starting to frustrate me. OH and I finally got a joint account last year, we were both with Lloyd's TSB so we walked into our local branch and set it up, made things so simple for sorting finances. Now that the two banks have separated my account has stayed with Lloyd's but OH and joint account has gone to TSB. I think I'll look into transferring to TSB, it's too much hassle having to log onto 2 banking sites to make sure I transfer enough money. I just need to look into the effect it has on my credit rating. Would really like to apply for 0% transfer on a CC in the new year.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Another successful day in my MSE life.

Only spent money on much needed petrol.

Came home to free baileys miniature (thanks to whoever posted this on Debt Free Wannabe board) and tesco inviting me to apply for their credit card. I'm not interested in taking them up on their offer (0% on spending for 18 months) but I'm hoping this means my credit rating is improving.

Sorted out my budget this evening, very limited at the moment as OH owes me money, not too worried but it means I can't overpay my loan just yet.

Can't wait to update figures once my loan payment goes through tomorrow.

Just 3 1/2 days of work left!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    2 1/2 days to go! Just realised this will be my first holiday in 4 years! Obviously I've taken time off since then but I've either spent that time at home or seeing family.

I've been very organised today, bought all the ingredients I needed for lunch and dinner until Friday. Dinner was a sausage casserole using a sachet which cost 9p from B & M because it was out of date. It tasted delicious! Already started tomorrow's dinner as well; beef stew in the slow cooker.

Loan statement hasn't updated yet but I'm sure it will tomorrow, credit card doesn't get paid until the end of the week. It sounds really pathetic but I'm obsessed with updating my balance, I'm sure I think the more I look at it the more the balance will reduce!!!!

Off to finish preparing the beef stew so tomorrow dinner will be ready as soon as I get in the door!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    Just got off the phone to sky, they've still been charging me for broadband despite me taking them up on their offer to have it free for a year! I was on hold for 10 mins (call cost nothing) but as soon as I got through to someone she was really apologetic and said they've now amended it so it starts from this month.

Beef stew in the slow cooker was delicious, felt great coming home knowing we didn't have to cook anything.

Brought home a bunch of free (out of date) papers from work to add to the pile of free wood OH has got.

Overpaid my loan on my lunch break, should be able to update balance tomorrow, this means I should now get the total balance under £8,000 by December.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills