Fence quote

Options
Just been given a quote for a 75ft timber fence (5ft high) with trellis (1ft on top) at £1200. Can start next week. Does this sound fair?

He's taking out the current wire fence, and the posts (which aren't any good).

Please help! :confused:

Comments

• milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Options
    ook wrote: »
    Just been given a quote for a 75ft timber fence (5ft high) with trellis (1ft on top) at £1200. Can start next week. Does this sound fair? Please help! :confused:

Damn:eek: , my gardens 115 foot long & I would like to replace both sides, looks like the tatty side can stay & I will just do the hedge side:(

I'm working yours out at £92 a panel. If its a back garden do you need trellis on top? Would just a plain 5 foot or 6 foot fence not be fine?
    Does this include concrete sunk posts & perhaps concrete panels below the wood panels to stop rot (ours has these). I should imagine all that adds up.

Get lots of quotes.
  • ook
    ook Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    The quote did include concrete sunken posts and the removal of the existing posts (as these are in the wrong place and are the wrong height). This is for a featherboard timber fence. We had a previous quote of £1000, but I didn't think he'd do as good a job. But, the person that gave us the £1200 quote seemed to know what he was talking about and I don't mind paying a little extra for a good job and it done quickly. Although, I thought £1200 might be a bit too steep?
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    I cant help with the price as I had mine done about 7 years ago, but we had the feathered slatts, and when we had the high winds, most of the neighbours around me had lost some of thier panels, but our held up, and we havent big bushes or anything in front of them.
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    ook wrote: »
    The quote did include concrete sunken posts and the removal of the existing posts (as these are in the wrong place and are the wrong height). This is for a featherboard timber fence. We had a previous quote of £1000, but I didn't think he'd do as good a job. But, the person that gave us the £1200 quote seemed to know what he was talking about and I don't mind paying a little extra for a good job and it done quickly. Although, I thought £1200 might be a bit too steep?

There is feather board and there is feather board,you need to ask for a sample of what they are going to use so you can see the thickness and width of piece as some are flimsy and warp at the first sign of the Sun.. my Son gets his specially cut and tannilized at the local sawmill so he knows they are going to stand up to the job but that has to reflect in the price.

Dave
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask for a breakdown of material & cost.

I paid 1 days work (£200 labour) for a 7m long arris rail fence & concrete posts (£300 materials) & removal of the old fence. This is in London.

An arris rail fence is a fence made up of lots of small panels manually nailed together. Apparently this will last in the region of 40 years.
  • cargo
    cargo Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am also in process of getting a fence sorted 80ft in lenght.
    6 foot finished height wayney lap.
    I have also been told off fencing suppliers that the timber is scarce.
  • ictmad
    ictmad Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Toots wrote: »
    I read in a national newspaper recently that the price of fencing has skyrocketed recently. Something to do with exports to China?

Anyway I was in a local builders merchant last weekend and they were telling a customer they just can't get hold of any fencing as it is so scarce as a result of this and that if they can the prices wil be astronomical.

Maybe this is reflected in the price you have been quoted?

Toots

i work in a builders merchants(national company) and we have hundreds of fecne panels and fence posts,but saying that the sawmill down the road from us ran out of fence posts as we bought them all,so were getting all there customers also
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure