We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

problems installing wsp2

Hi everyone,
I'd be really grateful for your thoughts/advice on a problem I can't seem to get round.
A brief history of my laptop required,soz;My laptop was on XP then the driver died.Due to lack of cash,the only replacement I could afford was a Vista driver. This functions very adequately except...updates cannot be installed,an error message pops up when I try to install Service Pack 2(which I seem to need now to access my yahoo account as I can't install IE9). What does this all mean & is there owt I can do to fix?.

Thankyou so much for reading.
Sarah

Comments

  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    driver?? do you mean hard drive ??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    miranda2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'd be really grateful for your thoughts/advice on a problem I can't seem to get round.
    A brief history of my laptop required,soz;My laptop was on XP then the driver died.Due to lack of cash,the only replacement I could afford was a Vista driver. This functions very adequately except...updates cannot be installed,an error message pops up when I try to install Service Pack 2(which I seem to need now to access my yahoo account as I can't install IE9). What does this all mean & is there owt I can do to fix?.

    Thankyou so much for reading.
    Sarah

    What are you talking? Drivers don't die.

    Make and full model of laptop?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    driver?? do you mean hard drive ??
    Vista hard drive? :)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Vista hard drive? :)

    s/h hard drive with vista already on it ??? I'm guessing in light of limited info ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    s/h hard drive with vista already on it ??? I'm guessing in light of limited info ;)

    :D Seems the OP has gone to think it over.
  • miranda2
    miranda2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Hi everyone who has tried to help.Apologies for my appalling lack of techy knowledge. Yes it was the hard drive that died.Since the replacement there have been a few problems installing updates.The laptop is an HP Pavilion.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,180 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    miranda2 wrote: »
    ...updates cannot be installed,an error message pops up when I try to install Service Pack 2. What does this all mean & is there owt I can do to fix?
    An error message usually means an error has occured. ;)

    Without knowing what the error message says, I don't think it's possible to diagnose the problem further.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    miranda2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone who has tried to help.Apologies for my appalling lack of techy knowledge. Yes it was the hard drive that died.Since the replacement there have been a few problems installing updates.The laptop is an HP Pavilion.

    Model number?

    Backup and Factory Restore? Would you prefer to reinstall XP or Vista?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.