We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How long after rain does your lawn stay wet/damp??

Options
I recently had my garden landscaped and drainage was one of the things that was to be sorted out.
I went out into the garden last week and it had last rained 3 days prior to that, however the ground was still very wet underfoot. I'm not sure if this is because the ground was already saturated from previous heavy rainfall or whether there is still a drainage problem in my garden. I know it also hasn't been particularly warm to dry out the soil either.
So just wondering how long after rainfall does your lawn take to dry out so that you can walk on it, and then walk on the patio slabs and not leave wet footprints??

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It depends.

Exactly as you have said, three days of heavy rain fall is going to take longer to dry out from than a summer shower filled by dry, windy warmth.

When you say 'foot prints' though, effective drainage on the average garden lawn should cope with quite a lot of rain.....think of, for example, grass sports fields that cope with worse, but good drainage holds in good condition. BUT the best drainage is not cheap....so, if you got a very good price you might hima ust have got a poorly placed French drain insufficient for the job....especially of there is no where to really drain it to.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure