PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I choose someone to sort out boiler and bill landlord

Options
Hi All, Joined up today to post an ebay question and boiler goes :( so thought I'd post a question on here :( given the complication situation.
I'm a tenant being evicted and relations with landlady are sour. My yearly gas safety inspection hasn't been done and I doubt she cares to do anything at all as I didn't go after the s25 notice ran out.
Is there a time limit by which work has to be done re. boilers as we now have no central heating nor hot water. And if there is can I then get the work done myself and bill her. I could use the same guy that's been coming out for the past 6 years to do the gas safety inspection as I'm sure he checked the boilers and central heating etc.
Thanks.

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Have you informed the landlady IN WRITING that the heating system has failed? Have you requested that the annual gas-safety check be carried out IN WRITING?

For guidance on how to have the repair carried out and deduct the cost from your rent you should have a read of the Shelter website. It's not just a matter of getting it done yourself in the first instance as there are very strict procedures you must adhere to.

What's a Section 25 Notice?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome! :) Speak to Environmental Health on Monday, they may be able to enforce this. Sounds like it needs more than an inspection if you have no heating or hot water. Are you sure the landlady has not turned something off? This might be classed as an attempt at illegal eviction.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Report non-issue of safety record to HSE here ...
    https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1
  • carly24
    Options
    Thanks. I'll write to her and let her know so it is written. I'll also contact environmental health just to see what they say and I'll have a read of the shelter website so I can see what the correct procedures are. Thanks for the pointers.
    s25 notice - when they tell you they want you to leave. Unfortunately not found anywhere yet so still looking.
    Thank you for your help.
  • carly24
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    Report non-issue of safety record to HSE here ...

Oh wow, didn't realise this was a formal thing. How come there's a form for this? Do you know what happens next? I'll do some googling
    Thanks anselld.
  • anselld
    Options
    carly24 wrote: »
    s25 notice - when they tell you they want you to leave. Unfortunately not found anywhere yet so still looking.
    Thank you for your help.

Thats because its S21 !
  • anselld
    edited 30 September 2012 at 6:06PM
    Options
    carly24 wrote: »
    Oh wow, didn't realise this was a formal thing. How come there's a form for this? Do you know what happens next? I'll do some googling
    Thanks anselld.

It is not just formal, it is a criminal offence not to issue a GSR.
    HSE can issue a formal caution or prosecute.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    It is not just formal, it is a criminal offence not to issue a GSR.
    HSE can issue a formal caution or prosecute.

Even if the tenant is not supposed to be there?

My neighbour reported their landlord to HSE - and he promptly evicted them and kept their bond.

They wished they had never reported him now.

But as your on your way anyway - might aswell go for it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a tenant is in occupation, a valid, annual gas safety certificate is mandatory. HSE can prosecute.

Always report issues (eg boiler breakdown) in writing.

To get the boiler repaired yourslf and deduct cost from future rent involves a VERY specific (and time-consuming) process which MUST be followed. See Shelter here.
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    techspec wrote: »
    Even if the tenant is not supposed to be there?

The tenant is supposed to be there! The notice issued only tells them that the LL is seeking possession. To achieve that possession they need to get a court order to evict the tenant. OP does not have to leave until LL takes this court action.

OP, as an aside, if your LL is a little lax on letting regs, can we check your Section 21 notice is actually valid.

When did your tenancy start - exact date?
    When did fixed term end - exact date?
    Did LL take a deposit?
    Did they protect the deposit and provide you with the prescribed information from the scheme they used?
    What form did the notice take?
    When did you receive it?
    What date did it give for expiry - exact wording if this would be helpful.

If LL made any mistake in serving the notice, it may actually be invalid, so you may not have to leave - just yet anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure