washing hoodies safely?

Options
I'm always scared buying expensive clothes, especially hoodies as they tend to get dirty very quickly (at least for me), because I don't know how to wash them safely let alone how to use a washing machine lol

Are there any tips you could give me such as what products or temperature etc to use? Or even not use washing machine at all but do hand wash?

Comments

• missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    erm there is a label inside most items of clothing that tells you how to wash something.
    if you don't know or cant guess what the icons mean you could google washing instructions labels or something similar and find out.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • James_Lahey
    James_Lahey Posts: 478 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Turn inside out if there's anything screenprinted on outside - then wash on 40 deg wash (30 if you're really scared.) Make sure you wash with similar colours and avoid tumble drying to prevent shrinkage. Make sure the pockets are empty - my kids love leaving valuable/disolvable stuff inside them :mad: Non-biological powder will probably be gentler than bio - but both would be fine. Softener is optional but I don't use it as it seems to reduce life of clothes and towels.

If it's an expensive/quality item of clothing it should hold up well to washing many times.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 5:26PM
    Options
    washing hoodies safely?

Take them out of their outer wrapper first;)

( Think about it ),

Plus, I find it difficult to get 1 let alone more into the washer, they seem to have a natural aversion?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Turn inside out, check pockets, double check pockets and give a third check to make sure no tissues or remnants of are left behind. Don't overfill the washer, wash with similar coloured items (this may just be an idiosyncrasy of mine. Don't tumble dry.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never expected to hear "hoodies" and "expensive" in the same sentence!
  • freezspirit
    Options
    Must admit I thought it odd some of the replies to this thread about not tumble drying. I do. Then I realised that all my hoodies are 100% cotton so safe to do some but checking online some hoodies are a mixed fabric e.g. 70% Polyster 30% Cotton so shouldn't go in tumble dryer.

Check what the label says. Eveything the same as others, check pockets, turn inside out, (I use liquid non-bio) put in washing machine with other clothes @ 40 for a 40-60min wash.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    inside out, 30 or 40 degree wash with similar colours, dry on a hanger then you don't get a line across the middle if on the clothes dryer
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The first thing to do is to look for the label on the inside which should tell you what you need to know.

The icon you're looking for is a bowl full of water. The number inside it is the maximum temperature (you can use a cooler wash if you like). Any bars below the bowl tell you how delicate it is - no bars = not delicate at all, one bar = use a "synthetics" wash, two bars = delicate.

If the bowl's just got a hand in it, not a temperature, then it's hand wash only.

If in doubt, a 30 degree "delicates" wash will do for most things.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • nickyhutch
    Options
    I don't understand why hoodies would be any more scary to wash than any other item.

Check the label, and follow the instructions. Google them if you're not sure what they mean.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Plus, I find it difficult to get 1 let alone more into the washer, they seem to have a natural aversion?
    I was thinking exactly along the same lines. Your turn to be first today. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure