Do I have a gas leak?

Options
Hi guys.
Ok, I live in a 3 bed detached house. Wooden floorboards downstairs, So not poured concrete floor but rafters and a sub floor
Pulled up an access panel today and found the gas pipe coming in from the gas meter.
I'm Scottish gas customer by the way.

So, I can smell gas. Not an awful lot. But I can smell it nether the less.there is a large plastic pipe that has been sunk into the ground with the gas pipe running through it. No doubt this goes to the main inlet to the house side of the meter.

There is an earth strap on this gas pipe with a bit of corrosion
What do I do about this.
How much would it cost, or am I liable for costs if there really is a leak.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• Dumbe
    Dumbe Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Gas leaks are dangerous.. I have no idea if you have a leak or not..
    But if you smell gas that's not good.

Ventilate the area now and call the number from the gas supplier .. Entitled if you smell gas....ASAP.

They will advise you
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys.
    Ok, I live in a 3 bed detached house. Wooden floorboards downstairs, So not poured concrete floor but rafters and a sub floor
    Pulled up an access panel today and found the gas pipe coming in from the gas meter.
    I'm Scottish gas customer by the way.

So, I can smell gas. Not an awful lot. But I can smell it nether the less.there is a large plastic pipe that has been sunk into the ground with the gas pipe running through it. No doubt this goes to the main inlet to the house side of the meter.

There is an earth strap on this gas pipe with a bit of corrosion
    What do I do about this.
    How much would it cost, or am I liable for costs if there really is a leak.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

seriously!!??? smell gas call 0800111999.
    if the pipe is on the outside of the meter..... NG or a distributor will fix... if its on inside of meter then you bear the cost
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    turn the gas off at the meter ,open doors and windows to ventilate the property, do not turn any electrical appliances or switches on or off and do not smoke or strike matches etc them call me or one of my colleagues on 0800 111 999 now if you have not already done so.

We answer calls to this number with in 30 seconds 24 hrs a day every single day of the year with out exception and have suitably qualified engineers to come out and make sure you and yours are safe free of charge.

I do hope you have already called and spoken to me or one of my colleagues as that is why we are there
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Call National Grid, the number should be on the meter.0800 111 999 . Its not uncommon to smell gas in an outsde box.There are a few places where a bit of gas can weep out causing a build up inside. There should be no smell of gas at all within the box. Its free to get N.Grid out
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    p.s call from mobile outside only
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Why are you posting on here?! Call National Grid, open all the windows and don't use any electrics (including door bells and light switches).
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport