Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Second Purse Challenge Thread #2 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Second Purse Challenge Thread #2

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
486 replies 79K views

Replies

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone - I do hope Kerri doesn't mind me starting this new thread?:o

Nothing much to report except that as it's the 1st of the month, another £20 has gone into the 2nd purse, so total is £47 odd. MrW have my coffee refills on special so may well pop there after the school run/tomorrow. I want to do a small DR order to come next week - have one coming this Friday, just sausages (love them!) and beef meatballs. I might get some casserole beef if it's on offer ;)

Hope everyone is doing well.

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • Hi all, just letting you know I am still here!

Well sadly OH found out today that he is indeed being made redundant :( So ScrabbleStores will come in darn useful - I can eke things out for a few months, I think, without having to spend too much. The way the job situation is here it could be a while before he finds work again :(
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that scrabbles. Not sure my stores would last that long with the gannets here! Sending (((hugs))) to you and yours x

I went to MrW just before the afternoon school run and got 4 x Kenko refills - they are £2.92 - cheapest I've seen, usually MrT does them at £3 if they reduce them. Made the mistake of getting some in W!lko once thinking they were a bargain, then realised they were the smaller size doh!

Off to Co$tco tomorrow so may look at their meat before committing to another DR order. I have £36 left in the 2nd purse, and have started another 3rd purse with £14 odd. What shall I buy next I wonder....

Hope all are okay
    Coxy
  • Thanks Coxy - I feel a little more positive today than yesterday :) I do feel so grateful for my stockpile though! Whatever else may happen, we certainly won't starve...

Costco meat is pretty good. The best value is from buying a big hunk of meat and chopping it yourself, it also means you can cut it as thick or thin as you like (best make sure no gannets are around at this point, as they'll demand bigger portions) ;)
    Big tip - the cheapest cut is the flank, if you cut it against the grain it's frying steak or you can slow-cook it as a joint or cube it for casserole steak. It's really good considering the price.
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks scrabbles, that's good to know. I'm from the generation that only used to buy from a SM and had it all pretty packaged for me with instructions :rotfl:I've only in recent years been in a butcher and only then for my Christmas turkey! Sad but true.....

Forgot to add that I also spent £3.16 from 2nd purse in MrT buying 4 x 3kg of dishwasher salt. It was on Martin's weekly email. SEL said £1.54 but I self-scanned it and it came through at 79p a bag :D We have very hard water so have to top up the machine about twice a week :eek:

Coxy
  • edited 4 October 2012 at 9:40AM
    skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2012 at 9:40AM
    Morning all, scrabbles sorry to hear about your oh :-( my oh was ill for nine weeks with out any money coming in ( Self-employed) My Stores was a god send Would never have managed without it . Been shopping bought
    6 comfort £18.00 big ones
    36 tins of pears 15p £5.40
    2 washing liquids £4
    2 cooking oils £4
    12 tins of carrots. £2.40
    So have spent £33.80 to come out of second purse . Will update in a later .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just back from Co$tco - not such a pleasurable experience with DS1 (13) in tow. However, I was very good and got the youth club tuck that I needed, plus a nice pork belly joint for the weekend. In terms of 2nd purse I just got some cereal which was good value. Totals updated.

Coxy
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me again :o

In the past week I have been sent two emails from DR with a free delivery code, so I've taken the plunge and ordered another delivery for 12th Oct (order also coming tomorrow). This time I've ordered minced steak x 8 and beef shin x 4. This has wiped out 2nd purse, but I'm paying back for stock used every 2-3 days which means I'm winning - just.....

Slowly getting through the stock of sliced rolls I got on ys during the summer hols. Have enough to last to half term. Also juice cartons from Co$tco have been a god send as things like that really bump up the weekly shop. Other than that it's just storecupboard bits like olive oil, cereal and loo roll that keep things ticking over.

Enough rambling, sorry!

Off to update sig.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Me again :o

In the past week I have been sent two emails from DR with a free delivery code, so I've taken the plunge and ordered another delivery for 12th Oct (order also coming tomorrow). This time I've ordered minced steak x 8 and beef shin x 4. This has wiped out 2nd purse, but I'm paying back for stock used every 2-3 days which means I'm winning - just.....

I love DR mince, it takes cottage pie to a whole new dimension :D
    My freezer's full so I can't take advantage of their offers right now but they seem to do a lot of offers so hopefully I'll be OK. As you know I haven't got a proper 2nd purse 'cos I'm too disorganised, but when I make a bulk purchase I throw the savings into my sealed pot and it's getting really heavy :T roll on Opening Day :)
    Rx
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosyq - I agree with you about the DR mince - it's lovely. I was out when the delivery came but it's so well-packaged it didn't matter. Sausages and beef meatballs now in the freezer and another one of those polystyrene boxes to find a use for :rotfl:

Coxy
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support