ISA SS Funds - Buy and Sell

Options
On some ISA SS Funds you see the price quoted as Sell : 254.88p | Buy : 270.43p

Could someone please explain how this works when buying and selling funds.

I assume that you buy at 270.43p and if sold a few moments later it would be 254.88p, therefore making a heavy loss in a short period of time. Is this right?

Regards

Robert

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Correct. The difference would be taken as fees. This type of charging was very common but now most funds have a single buy/sell price and management fees are taken straight out of the fund.
  • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Options
    So if you had 2 funds and they were priced the 2 different ways, would they be the same in terms of cost and fees taken?
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    There is an extra complication in that the spread often includes an initial charge (eg 5%) which you can get discounted from, eg, a fund supermarket.

In your example, the spread is 6%. If the platform was offering a 5% "initial saving", the "real" purchase price is 257.88 (270.43 / 1.05). [Or at least I think that's the correct way to do the sum.]

And of course you can't sell a few moments later : funds are usually priced once a day, so you'd be selling the next day, when both buy and sell prices will have changed a little. (And they never tell you in advance what you will pay - the proces they show are from the most recent pricing point, but you will transact at the next pricing point.)
  • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Options
    How do the fund supermarkets rebate the 5% initial saving? Is the price adjusted low to take account of this?

270.43p minus 5%?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport