What Is This Dodgy Looking Thing Found In The Garden?

edited 30 September 2012 at 11:39AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
14 replies 2K views
UnderPressureUnderPressure Forumite
3.2K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 September 2012 at 11:39AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
As the tile says, stumbled across this dodgy looking thing in the garden today, it seems to have some gruesome looking teeth!

Any ideas?

thing2.jpg

thing1.jpg

I should add that the great people over on allotment.org.uk identified it first so all credit should go to them for the identification of this.

The thread is here:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=99187.0

Great site full of wonderful people always willing to lend a hand, a bit like here, check it out if you get time.
"You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
Sir Winston Churchill

Replies

• Norma_DesmondNorma_Desmond Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a giant Hawk Moth caterpillar of some kind?

I'm sure I had a similar one in the garden last year - plug ugly and almost big enough to keep as a pet! ;):D
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • UnderPressureUnderPressure Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply ;) After a bit more research it is an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar, quite an unsavoury looking character now been evicted to the adjoining field full of cows :)
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • How many cows does it take to fill a field?:eek:;)
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply ;) After a bit more research it is an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar, quite an unsavoury looking character now been evicted to the adjoining field full of cows :)

It is absolutely beautiful. I think these huge moth larvae are wonderful things. The only problem is that some can eat crops. From wikipedia: "
    The preferred food plants of the caterpillar are willowherb (Epilobium) and bedstraw (Galium), though it will also take fuchsias."So it might even be beneficial by eating unwanted plants, although Fuschias are probably desirable.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • sassybluesassyblue Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's stunning as a moth, hubby was 'attacked' by one last year lol, it flew in our window and freaked him out. There's a huge honeysuckle bush outside and they like them apparently.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1991

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Thanks for the pic. I love threads like these. That thing doesn't look real!
    Stunning caterpillar and moth though!
  • harrys_nanharrys_nan Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We have had a couple just lately, couldn't believe how big they are , not pretty things but fascinating in it's own right.
    Neighbours have a fuchsia hedge near where they were .
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • edited 30 September 2012 at 7:01AM
    Lisa_27Lisa_27 Forumite
    98 Posts
    edited 30 September 2012 at 7:01AM
    I think he is cute :-)

Have you seen the moths they turn into? stunning but yes I'd poo myself if I saw one, moths scare me x
  • blossomhill_2blossomhill_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you had photoshopped it - remember the green Glowbug toys of the 80s?
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lisa_27 wrote: »
    I think he is cute :-)

Have you seen the moths they turn into? stunning but yes I'd poo myself if I saw one, moths scare me x

:D I once had a Southern Hawker dragonfly land on my sleeve. It made me jump when I looked down and saw it. It must have confused my green jacket for a tree.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals