Low water pressure, what might be wrong

Hi
The water pressure in my house has always been ok but within the last month it has really decreased both upstairs and downstairs.
When running the bath it is going really slow and making the boiler switch itself off, red light instead of the green. As soon as i turn it back on its ok but happens again.
There was a small leak from the radiator downstairs but after tightening the screw thing, that it now ok and no leak.
Any ideas what could be the cause or what I need to do.
On the dial on the boiler, it is around 2 which is what it is meant to be.
Any ideas
Thanks
Jules

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Check your stoptap under the sink is fully turned on.

There could be a leak between your meter and your house. Turn your stoptap off under the sink and see if your water meter in the footpath is still turning. If it is, you have a leak on your property.

Report the low pressure to your water company - there may be a burst main that they don't know about.

If you have a tank in your loft, check that the outlet from the tank isn't blocked or the tank isn't filling up quickly enough.

If the water pressure in your house makes your boiler switch off, it is possible that your water supply isn't at the minimum pressure that the water company have to supply.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Hi
    Thanks for that, the stopcock is fully turned on.
    I don't have a water meter, just a tap in the cellar to turn so no clock to look at.
    No tank in the loft, just the boiler in the bathroom, only a couple of year old.
    When you say the water supply may not be at minimum pressure, does that mean the water company have to come out and do something.
    Sorry for sounding a little dim, I'm a girl whos good at shopping, cooking etc but not the DIY.
    Jules
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Old house?? Check your tank in the loft.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Fairly old terraced, I don't think there is a tank in the loft, before I had new boiler and central heating, I had a boiler in the bathroom.
    You can't get in the loft so don't think there is anything up there/
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Hi

Do you mean low pressure on all the taps or some.?
    You have a combi I presume?

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Hi Corgi Guy
    The low pressure appears to be on the taps in bathroom as well as kitchen. And yes I do have a combi, any suggestions?
    Jules
  • Canucklehead
    Hi

If low pressure is just on the hot then you would be checking the inlet filter on the cold to the combi (they usually have one). If low pressure is common to hot and cold and the water can be turned off in the street reasonably easily then do that and see what the internals of the cellar stop !!!! are like.(stuck washer / disintegrated). Just read you op again.... sounds like the cellar.Pressure builds in the pipework ,you use water ...pressure drops due to restriction ... turn off tap ...pressure builds and so on.Has anyone done work in the cellar. Is the mains pipe lead and been crushed? (scratch it and if it's shiny and soft it's lead)

PS. You might be a girl but also human and, therefore, just as capable as the next. Male or female. Have confidence.

Corgi Guy.
  • The piping is encased in a foam stuff (cant describe what it is, soz) to protect the piping but cannot see any damage.
    There has been no work done in the cellar lately.
    It is just my hot tap and not the cold.
  • adypem
    adypem Posts: 256 Forumite
    Fairly old terraced, I don't think there is a tank in the loft, before I had new boiler and central heating, I had a boiler in the bathroom.
    You can't get in the loft so don't think there is anything up there/

We live in an old terraced also and we occassionally get low pressure. This has been traced back to a shared feed to mine and next doors property. So if both houses require large quantites of water someone will suffer. This is more of an issue in the summer when the hose pipes are running.

Have you recently had new neighbours ? Or have they had some work done on their property.

One thing I did to get around it was to fit a shower pump so there will always be constant pressure.
  • Canucklehead
    Hi

I would be looking at the inlet to the boiler and checking any filters in there. What make/model is it? Are there any other valves around the boiler?
    Corgi Guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure