Satander £150 charges

I have two accounts with santander - the one account we use for bills and such and the second is my salary

I paid for an item with the wrong card and the amount was £35 which took me into an unauthorised overdraft. Santander have charged me £50 first off for this.

I emailed them stating my mistake and that i would like the account closed so i dont make the mistake again. They stated that i was to send a cheque for the agreed amount of £35 in order to close the account. This i did. Now they are charging me £150 plus the £35 that is on the account even though i have sent the cheque to them on the 12/09

they responsed saying that my account has been passed to collections and that i will need to pay the outstanding amounts in order to close the account.

What has me worried is that this is a joint account and will affect my partners rating which is better than mine.

How do i go about sorting this mess out? Obviously i would like them to remove the charges and allow me to repay the £35 but since it has been passed to collections i doubt this will fly with them.

help

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    they responsed saying that my account has been passed to collections and that i will need to pay the outstanding amounts in order to close the account.

There is more to this than you are telling us. Banks only close accounts off to collections once they feel it is unlikely they are going to get their money back and typically this is after a year or so of problems or a problem account holder.

If that is not the case, then an error has likely occurred. However, if it is the case, you need to let us know otherwise any response is going to be based on inaccurate information.
    How do i go about sorting this mess out?

Book an appointment with the account manager and sort it out. Or, if it is a severe error then complain.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure