Compelling Personal Reasons for tuition fee loan

Options
Hello,

I have a place to study at Reading this year (next week!) but previously ('96-'97) did two first years but dropped out of both due to depression as my mother died in '93 when I was 16-17.

I sent off evidence of CPR about 3 weeks ago now including a letter from a psychotherapist I saw many years later ('07), a letter from my current GP (previous one retired years ago) and a reference from my tutor from my access course from last year saying I was an excellent student with good attendence and punctuality.

So, my questions:

What timescale should I expect SFE to respond in? I called today but got a bit of a fobbed off 'call next week'. Do they have a set period to reply in their guidelines?

Also does anyone have an opinion of the likelihood of my being granted an extra year of fees? One big problem I see is the 10 year gap before getting professional help (although I did try antidepressants confirmed by GP before this) but it's not always easy for someone in that situation to go and find help.

Anyway, your help/ opinions much appreciated, thanks for all the help you give us lot!

Ben

Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to be honest, without seeing the evidence you've submitted to SFE, I would have said no.

Whilst I can appreciate the loss of a relative can cause problems, there was a long gap in between here.

Were both of the previous first years at the same university?
  • bensmith007
    Options
    No, Newcastle university then Northumbria at Newcastle. At first I thought it was down to the course so I changed (couldn't change at Newcastle, so went to Northumbria) but soon realised in my second year it wasn't the subject, just me being unhappy.

What about the time scale for getting a reply one way or the other, any ideas?
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't really give a timescale on this.

With the above in mind, I wouldn't say a no, but I wouldn't be saying yes either. It really is going to go down to the evidence provided to SFE. Bear in mind that you can appeal the decision if it doesn't go your way, but CPR is very subjective to whoever is assessing you.

Gut instinct thinks they probably will give you it. If it was myself though, I would probably ask a bit more information if the GP's stuff didn't really cover enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure