nhs redundancy

Options
From 1/10/2012 i am 'at risk' of redundancy in the NHS but i will be 50 in March 2013 and entitled to a better deal, i have not got as far as a date of redundancy and there is a chance of continuing to work within the NHS organization i work for,at a different post, the worst fears come to being made redundant before i reach 50 can anyone tell me a way to delay this process via sick leave, taking absences, or anything else that may prolong my stay.:(

Comments

• firesidemaid
    Options
    are you a union member?

what further infomation do you have regarding the likely redundancy process?

would the different post be at the same band?

have you taken a detailed look at the nhs redundancy policy?

this is something that many of us are likely to face in the nhs over the coming months:(
  • bandicoot421
    bandicoot421 Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2012 at 11:38PM
    Options
    I am a Unison member and there may be some posts in the same band at my NHS trust, i have had a look at the policy and Unison info but i am concerned at timelines and not being 'canned' deliberatly at 49 as i would have much better benefits at 50. i know i will end up in a pool and will have to 'scored' before all this takes place, but again how do i spin this out untill March 2013, can i use any ageist legal action or something simular to hold off redundancy if i am only a few weeks away from the redundancy date ie: the process creeps along until Jan -Feb 2013, we are 'at risk' from 1 Oct to 24 Dec (merry Xmas!):mad: currently.
  • snowcat53
    Options
    Usually in these circumstances if you are offered an alternative post you are entitled to a trial period (often 3 months) in the new role. If after that you decided it wasn't suitable (you would need a good reason though) then that should help with .the timescale..
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Looks like 90 days consultation but that would be 29th

Then you have your statutory notice to add to the date they put you on notice. should the termination date be before this.

staturty trial periods are 4 weeks for a potentialy suitable alternative.

so how long have you worked(continuous service, statutory notice is 1 week per year upto 12.

so if you have 12 weeks and they wait till the end of the year to issue any notice thats the 23rd march( or very close) if they issue on the 24th thats 12 march.

There is more than one proces for redundancy in the NHS check which is being proposed.(MARS,A4C,...)

Also look carefully at the pension situation and the return to working in the NHS.
    I think MARS(one of the options) has lenghty block on return

the best best long term is probably secure another position but it may be that cut and run now might be if any enhanced redundancy may be reduced in the future.

It looks like actual dates may be critical if they don't plan to issue notice till Dec and you have serise over 8 years.

How big a difference is the package I though they had rmoved the big differences by the begining of this year. Don't you have to take you pension if you still can at 50 and swap the redundancy for pension or something like that(not looked in detail for a while now thats from memory) allthough that can often be a very good deal.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/payandcontracts/mutually-agreed-resignation-scheme/pages/mutuallyagreedresignationscheme.aspx

http://www.nhsemployers.org/payandcontracts/agendaforchange/nhs-redundancy/pages/nhs-redundancy.aspx

http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/AfC_tc_of_service_handbook_fb.pdf
  • Queen_B_3
    Options
    Hello bandicoot, I will also be put at risk on 01/10/12. We have been told that the consultation period will last till 31/12/12, by that point anyone who does not have a role in the new organisation will be put on notice to be made redundant on 31/3/13.

Even though it's rubbish to be up at risk and possibly be made redundant we are being give a lot more notice than some people in the private sector. It gives everyone plenty of time to either find something else whether it be in the new organisation or elsewhere or sit it out and see what happens.

At the moment looking at the new structure there is no job for me a my banding, so I am trying to look for alternatives. But they are far and far between. I'm sticking out regardless as I am due to off on maternity at the end of the year plus I have quite a lot of service so the payout is worth hanging around for.

If your really concerned about being made redundant before 50 I'd seriously look at getting another job.
    I :heart2: saving money
  • Bigmoney2
    Options
    From 1/10/2012 i am 'at risk' of redundancy in the NHS but i will be 50 in March 2013 and entitled to a better deal, i have not got as far as a date of redundancy and there is a chance of continuing to work within the NHS organization i work for,at a different post, the worst fears come to being made redundant before i reach 50 can anyone tell me a way to delay this process via sick leave, taking absences, or anything else that may prolong my stay.:(

Redundancy is often to do with funding and as the financial year/budget often run April to April, I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that they have money to pay you till April.

Your union reps will know more about actual time spans.
    You will not be able to influence this, but your reps may be able to.

Do not go off sick, all this will do is weaken your position. You don't actually say if you want to go at 50 or would rather stay long term. If you want to stay you need to make yourself 'bullet proof', apply for any jobs that are suitable, say you will consider any role.

Redeploying people can take some time and presumably they wil be looking for volunteers/early retirements first to mitigate compulsories if possible.
  • Queen_B_3
    Options
    Bigmoney2 wrote: »
    Redundancy is often to do with funding and as the financial year/budget often run April to April, I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that they have money to pay you till April.

Yes to a certain extent but it's mainly because of the NHS reforms, the GP's are going to have less money to commission healthcare services which comes into force from 1st April 2013.
    I :heart2: saving money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport